Brakes by markkrug
Started on: 03-01-2014 04:21 AM
Replies: 7 (356 views)
Last post by: wftb on 03-02-2014 05:17 PM
markkrug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the search function but am coming up empty. I am looking at changing my brake rotors for ones that are cross - drilled and slotted. Is this a good upgrade or a waste of money and time? Also, is there any benefit to upgrading to ceramic brake pads? I like the look but do not want to go too far if I am losing functionality.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look into the LeBaron Brake upgrade. Doing so will allow you to use the lebaron rotors which I beleive you can get from an auto part store cross drilled and slotted which would in the end be worth having the bigger brakes and not running the risk of a machinist ruining your expensive rotor/hub. All of this applies for the 84-87 front. Unless you intend on racing the car ive found as of recent your "gold brand" ceramic pads are a huge waste and are just a gimmick to get you to buy into their extended warranty junk
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just saw that I forgot to say that I have an 88 GT. From what I have read that makes a difference in the types of brakes that I can use.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who has done the most detail swap thread for Lebaron and Grand Am swaps? In other words, did one thread strike you as being a great write up that anyone could use and be successful the first time they tried it?
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TFS has drilled rotors with 'Carbomet' pads. I got a set put on a month ago. At first they felt very weak, with a soft pedal and a lot of travel before grabbing. But they have gotten much better. Now they're the best brakes I've had on a Fiero, although that's not saying a whole lot. This is the easiest upgrade. I don't drive hard at all, but there was at least one poster who said this package did a great job of combating fade. I'm not a big fan of the more aggressive brake upgrades because they usually involve eliminating the e-brake function.
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have 16 inch or larger wheels, I would go with one of the Corvette brake modifications. I have the 12 inch disks and they make a big difference. There have been some of the kits available in the mall recently.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap.
Paint in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Premium ceramic pads, like ThermoQuiet, are very good without Slot/drill rotors. Ceramic pads resists fading more than old semi-metallic pads. I use ThermoQuiet on Fiero and others. (Check for rebates! Federal Mogul is good on rebates.)

Fixing brakes, See my Cave, Brake Service

Slotted and/or drill rotors can be weak from Slot/drill machining. Many sources to say any are good etc. Either/both can start stress risers that could lead to rotor failure.

GA "upgrade..." So many push that. Have many problem and when done often has little benefit for the effort and $ spend.
Example: Many states is illegal to run w/o Parking brake so to fix that... They use Seville rear calipers. One problem is Seville uses same iffy piston design as Fiero and gets same problems. Get rebuilt caliper? Rebuilt units has same problem cause by Rebuilders tries to reuse or rebuild rear pistons. If they work new/now... often many have problems soon after like dragging pads etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88's have the best fiero brakes from the factory .For a street driven car i would avoid drilled and slotted .Pads wear faster and crap will build up in the holes .I bought a set of dimpled and shallow slotted rotors , EBC brand , for a Honda Element and I tossed them after only two years .If you are looking for a mild upgrade , check out Don P 's Lemons build thread and use his combo .Holding up under racing conditions very well tells you how good these brakes are stock .

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock