Rebuilding my '88GT fuel tank by notaguru
Started on: 02-28-2014 10:44 AM
Replies: 0 (102 views)
Last post by: notaguru on 02-28-2014 10:44 AM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CAR:
'88GT, 40k miles, stored in the sun for a decade or more

SYMPTOMS:
1. Low fuel pressure - 30psi rather than the prescribed 36-45psi.
2. Open fuel gauge circuit
3. Sample gas from tank was filthy

Pulled the tank yesterday, and of course it was grim inside. I found a local shop that will blast and clean the interior, which should solve the dirty gas problem. Also the fuel level sender assembly was totally corrupted (what a terrible design!). The pump looks recent.

PLAN:
I ordered this 0-90ohm sender assembly via eBay - http://tinyurl.com/nknhxur. I'll remove the variable resistor assembly from that $22 (!!!!) product, and install it with arm/float on the existing hardware. I mapped the swing of the original float and will duplicate that on the replacement unit, which will be attached to the original tube using stainless fittings. The pump and screen won't be disturbed. I will also measure the DC resistance in the fuel pump wiring, and also between the tank and the gauge (plus connectors). If it's more than a few milliohms I'll replace it.
I can't see a reason this won't work perfectly - and that worries me!

QUESTIONS:
1. Do you see any problem with the plan?
2. How can I properly test the fuel pump itself, outside the tank? I have two spares, and want the best of them.
3. What about those plastic baffles inside the tank? Is it possible to clean properly despite their interference?
4. A shop quoted $145 to clean out the tank, but that does not include a plastic liner. What do you think?

THANKS
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)
next newest topic | next oldest topic

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock