Does my alternator need replacing? by 4thfiero
Started on: 02-25-2014 05:30 PM
Replies: 5 (240 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-25-2014 10:56 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a 2.8 v6, been noticing that when starting my car up, day or night...sometimes my volt guauge would drop below 13, then id hear squealing and it would climb back up. Now at night, when i have the heat going and my headlights up...the volt guage will drop when coming to red lights and hitting the brake, once i release my foot from the brake it usually climbs back up. Sometimes it doesn't and i have to rev the ngine and hear the squealing again...then it eventually climbs back up...Is my alternator dying?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i should also add that whenever i turn my car off...the volt gauge red warning light goes off as i turn the ignition off, i dont believe she ever used to do that. And there have been times when i turn the car off when the light does not come on...but more times than not, it does illuminate
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your belt is dying.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just the belt? You think it needs to be replaced or tightened? And its not my alternator or the pully ON the alternator seizing up?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can test for that easily enough. Take the belt off and spin the alternator pully. Roughness is bad. Getting the tension right on a V6 is sometimes difficult, so many people add tensioners so there is no belt slipping...Dodgerunner has one...Rodney Dickman has one....and there are others. I have found that a good belt properly tensioned is OK on my car...

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...o.php?products_id=71

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-25-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Living in a wet climate (with my Fieros stored outside), I found that an automatic belt tensioner is mandatory on the V6. I have the one that Dodgerunner makes and sells. It's great.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-25-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock