88 5speed slip by nathnn99
Started on: 02-25-2014 12:47 AM
Replies: 8 (223 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 02-27-2014 08:32 PM
nathnn99

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nathnn99Send a Private Message to nathnn99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, my 88 5speed is starting to slip. I changed the clutch out because of this. When the case engine was pulled off of the transmission, there was oil going down the motor and on to the clutch plate. Changed the valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, and the oil pan gasket in an attempt to prevent the oil from returning. This weekend I took about a 300 mile round trip. My clutch started slipping during acceleration while trying to pass. It feels like the new clutch may some how be getting oil on it again. I read previous posts about manual transmission oil leaks, and I read that the distributor may have a leak from an oil ring. Do you think that the oil from the distributor could get onto the clutch, or is there somewhere else I should be concerned about?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may be leaking from the rear main crank seal, the rear camshaft plug/seal or one of the two oil galleys to the lifters. All are above the center of the crank. Larry
Ventura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced the distributor o-ring on my Formula. It had a major oil leak. The improved o-ring and gasket was less than $5 from the GM dealer and took 45 minutes to replace. If it's leaking, you should notice oil running down the transmission where the speed sensor mounts into the transmission.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Larry... though I'd place my bets on it being the rear main crank seal. Oil leaks that are external to the bell housing, such as the distributor shaft or valve covers, have a remote likelihood of being the cause.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of people say "rear main seal" or "rear crank seal".

Think about that for a minute...
That will get oil on the back of the flywheel, unless it just gets slung around inside the clutch housing and ends up dripping or otherwise splattering on the clutch.
OTOH, a leaking input shaft seal on the tranny will oil the clutch directly.
A leaky distributor o-ring will possibly drip through the seam, and onto the flywheel, but there is still no guarantee that it will get onto the clutch.
There are lots of "concave" areas around the distributor. If that's what's leaking, it should be easy to tell. Oil should be puddled there.
If you take it all back apart, also check the cam cover. It's also behind the flywheel.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Is there a dye that could be added to the engine (or tranny) oil? That could be one way to make it readily apparent when the clutch is pulled whether the oil has been coming from the engine or from the tranny.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-26-2014).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lots of people say "rear main seal" or "rear crank seal". Think about that for a minute... that will get oil on the back of the flywheel...

The oil wicks up between the mating surfaces of the flywheel's centering flange on the crank, and the large hole in the center of the crank. The oil then gets spun centrifugally along the plane of the flywheel that the clutch disk is attached to.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The oil wicks up between the mating surfaces of the flywheel's centering flange on the crank, and the large hole in the center of the crank. The oil then gets spun centrifugally along the plane of the flywheel that the clutch disk is attached to.

I suppose it's possible. Never say never.
Just suggesting to check everything while it's apart.

(I actually had a bad input shaft seal to kill a clutch on a car that I used to have. Of course it was a Saginaw 4 speed, but still...)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-27-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lots of people say "rear main seal" or "rear crank seal".

Think about that for a minute...
That will get oil on the back of the flywheel, unless it just gets slung around inside the clutch housing and ends up dripping or otherwise splattering on the clutch.
A leaky distributor o-ring will possibly drip through the seam, and onto the flywheel, but there is still no guarantee that it will get onto the clutch.
There are lots of "concave" areas around the distributor. If that's what's leaking, it should be easy to tell. Oil should be puddled there.
If you take it all back apart, also check the cam cover. It's also behind the flywheel.

Crap hell just froze over. but what he says is right and I have had the leaking trany main seal go as well while not in a fiero it is also possible.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock