Project SR-71 by Hulk
Started on: 02-24-2014 09:36 PM
Replies: 13 (524 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 02-27-2014 09:07 PM
Hulk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starting a project pretty soon. I'll give you this teaser, but I won't post anything else about it until it's done, then I'll post the build thread.

------------------
Ryan

86 Fiero GT
-Project SR-71

86 Fiero SE V6

91 Mustang 5.0 LX
-Slow...

[This message has been edited by Hulk (edited 02-24-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes me think Subaru
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SR-71 was a supersonic top secret aircraft. Also known as the Blackbird. I'm betting this project will be black. And the SR-71 used a lot of titanium. That should raise the bar for expectations.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
???
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, there's a blast from middle school.
Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are awesome. 2005 vintage STi, controlled by either a modified stock ticker or Megasquirt, built for about 400HP (not mach 3, but good enough for the occasional spirited driving), flat black paint, carefully placed red pinstriping, 17" or 18" wheels and I haven't quite decided on the interior yet. I don't want to make radical changes inside, it already looks period correct. But I'll put some modern touches in there. Since the engine is all aluminum, it is very light. The trans is heavier, but it will be modified to use only the forward axles, and it already has a performance diff. The only thing I'm not going to like is the ratio. Even though it's six gears, they are short. !st gear is almost worthless.

My good friends at Halo Supercars are going to help with this build. I promise a good thread when it's done.
Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hulk

615 posts
Member since Oct 2004
At first I was going to use a Ford 408 (351W) with a Toronado trans, just to irritate the purists, but when my STi got wrecked, I decided this would be almost as different.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulk:

Starting a project pretty soon. I'll give you this teaser, but I won't post anything else about it until it's done, then I'll post the build thread.

Interesting, if I didn't already have a Northstar in my '88, I'd think about the Subie H6, here's a clip of one I found a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdhSlF5oK94

Joe
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I have thought about doing a Subaru drivetrain for some time now.

Here is a thread with some discussion on using the Subaru drivetrain (and other longitudinal setups) in a fiero.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/087996-2.html

Good luck.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

???

i remember seeing them when they were honor among thieves... O.o
PFF
System Bot
Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Document every little bit you can about this please!!! I plan on doin something similar once the duke goes. 1994 FWD impreza 1.8 drivetrain the info you provide could change the game for others who want to do something completely different
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These guys make a kit to convert a 4WD Subie to 2WD: http://www.bremarauto.com/p...-2wd-conversion-kit/

Looks like about $378 dollars US
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the H 6 you would have to set the transaxle back a good bit but the 2.5 should do well. Do yourself a favor and talk to a few Subaru techs. Worked with one recently. He showed me where you can find a leak in almost all of them. You will want to address any head gasket(update) issues. Also plan out your intercooler as well as you can before the project. I would recondmend a small one on each side of the quarters to save space and run a crossover tube to connect the 2.
It's going to interesting to watch the plumbing on this one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock