Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  all turn signals work but when headlights are on turn signals dont??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
all turn signals work but when headlights are on turn signals dont?? by logical1
Started on: 02-24-2014 07:20 PM
Replies: 12 (4949 views)
Last post by: logical1 on 02-28-2014 11:58 PM
logical1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checked all fuses and they are fine. Turn signals work normally, but as soon as I cut headlights on turn signals dont work anymore. Weirdest thing ive ever seen. Anyone know what will fix this? They are illuminated they just dont flash?

[This message has been edited by logical1 (edited 02-24-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a ground issue, Make sure all your grounds are good.
logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where would I check those. If that was issue then id assume turn sign als wouldnt work at all. They work normally its just with head lights on they wont work?
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the grounding points for your front turn lights and tail lights.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
start at
See my Cave, Sneak Path and Wire Service
Maybe Headlights

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-24-2014).]

logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive cjevked noth grounds andvl cut grounds and re grounded them and still got nothing. Everything works untill I turn headlights on. Badswitch maybe?? Just dont want to throw $$ at problem if its not necessary. Disconnected headlights and turn signals dont work while switch is in on position
logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its amazing that no1 has experienced something like this
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have. had me stumped, but when i found the problem, i felt like a dweeb for not figuring it out sooner... i was chasing grounds, but they where good.....except for the turn signal pigtails. the leads in the pigtails where not connecting the bulb....and therefore, not grounding out. if the front bulbs won't ground, the rest of the system gets hung up.
Ron
logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll put new bulbs in and try from there. Just seems a bit odd they work normally.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad grounds do strange things.
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if it could cause your problem, but I had a bad ground connection inside one of the front sockets. A brand new socket had the same problem, and that's what threw me off. "Solution" was to break it open and solder the ground tabs (it's in 2 pieces internally). Then epoxied the socket back together and it worked perfectly after that. I don't know why the ground is in 2 pieces in those sockets, but it's just asking for problems IMO.

If you end up disconnecting the wires, you might be able to touch them directly to a bulb and rule out the socket. Or slip and pop a fuse.

[This message has been edited by armos (edited 02-25-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ha d a bad bulb that had the filament from one function (let's say running lights) touching the other function (let's say blinker). When I turned on the blinker it wouldn't blink. When I turned on the lights, the blinker indicator would come on in the dash. A new bulb solved the issue.

Another time, the pigtail of one of the front lights came apart and had similarly strange results.

Check the bulbs, then the sockets for proper wiring connectivity. (obviously for anyone else still having problems...)
logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im still stumped the last two post seem feasible. There are no other fieros in my area so im thinking any 3 wire socket off a gm like cavalier or something will work? Im going to try to swap bulbs but jus incase id like to have spare sockets on deck. Im going to junk yard tomorrow anyway to look for a few items for my truck.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock