Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Installing inner wheel bearing on front rotor 84' SE without press? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Installing inner wheel bearing on front rotor 84' SE without press? by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 02-23-2014 12:23 PM
Replies: 54 (1092 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 02-25-2014 03:52 PM
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have bubble fares your right it won't work. That's a whole nother animal. I would still like to see all new lines instead of trying to patch old rusted and fatigued lines.
IP: Logged
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

That flaring tool will NOT work.
The Fiero brake system uses the metric 'bubble' flare.

well that's a bummer. Guess the one the OP referred to has been discontinued, I read not many good things here about the others within my price range.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No it won't work for bubble flares. I would still rather see the lines replaced instead of trying to patch old rusted and fatigued lines.
Sorry double post.

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 02-24-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:

I got the old race out, it's thin and has a rubber seal.

Comments like this certainly added to the confusion in this thread.

Okay, so it turns out you have new races (pre-installed in the new rotors), new races, new seals... you're good to go.

Now you just need to figure out how tight to make the nut holding it all together on each hub. (Everyone seems to have their own method.)

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the decent kits that can do a bubble flare are $100+, might as well purchase the FS replacements and get the advantage of SS/prebent.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To properly set the front hub nut.......

Tighten the front spindle nut to 12 lb.ft. while spinning the wheel assembly forward.
Back off the nut to the 'just loose' position.
Hand tighten the spindle nut.
Loosen the spindle nut until either hole in the spindle lines up with a slot in the nut, but not more the 1/2 flat.

This is from the 86 Factory Service Manual.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

To properly set the front hub nut.......

Tighten the front spindle nut to 12 lb.ft. while spinning the wheel assembly forward.
Back off the nut to the 'just loose' position.
Hand tighten the spindle nut.
Loosen the spindle nut until either hole in the spindle lines up with a slot in the nut, but not more the 1/2 flat.

This is from the 86 Factory Service Manual.

Yes I have this same info from Ogre's, Calgary's etc. But thanks for making sure. I ordered the SS lines.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good, that's the best way. Like I said never take chances with steering or brakes. This way you only have to do the job once, and you won't have to worry about the little ole lady that will pull out in front of you. You know you can stop.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Good, that's the best way. Like I said never take chances with steering or brakes. This way you only have to do the job once, and you won't have to worry about the little ole lady that will pull out in front of you. You know you can stop.

I wholeheartedly agree, was hoping to get by for a few months. The Fiero is eating into my motorcycle fund, spring is right around the corner.
Time for a part time job.....
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought so too, but the polar vortex has hit again and it's back to zero weather here. Glad I got my grandsons headlights fixed last week when we had the 30 degree heatwave.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

No it won't work for bubble flares. I would still rather see the lines replaced instead of trying to patch old rusted and fatigued lines.
Sorry double post.

So the kit from O'Reilly's won't work either? Can you point to one that will, especially one that can be rented. It looks like I may have to get another set of the stainless just for the one line.

PFF
System Bot
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After you have installed the wheel with the castellated nut installed perform the following. With weight off wheel (jacked up) and the wheel nuts (at least 3) torqued snug , grasp the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and lever the wheel as hard as you can inward and outward. Feel or hear a click. OK , the nut is not over torqued...but (IMO) it may well be under torqued. Finger tight and backing off really won't do it. New bearing assemblies have their own thicknesses which may not accomodate the nut-washer combination (stack up) and result in proper bearing preload.

Perfect world adjustment is with an indicator registered at the hub near the bearing with inward and outward max clearance of .001" if I remember (correction please). Anyway, such a setup is difficult to implement and I have found the levering method to work well . The 12 ft lb method may be ok , but I do the following: With wheel on, center cap off, tighten the nut while. rotating the wheel by hand until drag is felt. Back off nut until wheel spins freely. Tighten nut just past finger tight and perform the lever test (above). Loose or big click? Too loose. Tighten nut to next key opening. Can't reach next slot or no click? Common problem. The nut face can be surfaced with coarse emery cloth on a flat surface (table saw will do). Patience. Use the figure 8 method. Keep reinstalling and lever testing. When the preload is reached you will "just" sense the click clearance-perfect.

I have burned bearings overtightening them , but mostly had problelms loose ones. You will know it if they are too loose. Use a thick key which will inhibit movement (ratchet) of the nut.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hobbywrench:

...grasp the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and lever the wheel as hard as you can inward and outward. Feel or hear a click. OK , the nut is not over torqued

My concern with this method is that it's quite possible (especially for someone who's new to this) to mistaken a loose ball joint for a "not over torqued" nut holding the bearing.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-25-2014).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

So the kit from O'Reilly's won't work either? Can you point to one that will, especially one that can be rented. It looks like I may have to get another set of the stainless just for the one line.

Any cheap double flaring tool kit should work just fine. I have done dozens of bubble flares with mine and have yet to have a problem.

Watch this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaO2jAWqVU0

of course if you are not confident with what you are doing, don't do it.

Kevin
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get coated lines at the auto parts store. They will replace everything but the main line from front to back. I just buy the pieces and bend them with my hands. They won't kink. Just talk to the parts store... the lines are a dark green color and take in an old fitting and a piece of line. They will give you the proper tube.... oh, and have an approx. length, as you can piece together shorter lines if needed. I replaced lines on my Fiero, Corsica, pickup and Aztek this way. It is a lot cheaper/easier than buying a pre-bent kit.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock