Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Pulled the heads off of my L67. Feedback requested.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Pulled the heads off of my L67. Feedback requested. by dhen
Started on: 02-22-2014 09:10 PM
Replies: 15 (569 views)
Last post by: darkhorizon on 02-24-2014 07:23 PM
dhen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dhenSend a Private Message to dhenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like I had leaky head gaskets.

Here are some close-up pictures of the different cylinders:

And side shots of the two cylinders I found rust on. The rust wiped right off and I can't feel any pitting. I can feel the black gunk, though. I think it would come off with some brake cleaner and a scrub pad.

Thoughts? Can I just replace the head gaskets or is more drastic action required? The car was supposedly running fine.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dhen:

Looks like I had leaky head gaskets.

Thoughts? Can I just replace the head gaskets or is more drastic action required? The car was supposedly running fine.

I don't think it was running fine. Running, yes but not well.
How long dit it sit before you pulled the heads?
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you" think" of doing anything More Drastic, check to see the "price" of the parts you "Think" you will need. (head bolts, rings, ROD bolts, gaskets etc) If you even try to "Check" the crank bearings, you will be in for main and rod bolts, they are non reusable.
dhen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dhenSend a Private Message to dhenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybug56:

I don't think it was running fine. Running, yes but not well.
How long dit it sit before you pulled the heads?

I don't know how long it has been sitting. I'm just going off of what I was told.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't touch the bottom end.
Don't try to clean the piston tops.
The rust is completely fine and wont hurt anything.
Get the head flatted by a machine shop. Preferably milled instead of belt sanded.
Use ARP head studs (ZZP has them)
Use Felpro L36 vin K head gaskets or GM.
Clean clean clean the block and head surface. Don't use any type of powered wire wheel.
Use a moderate amount of copper spray on both sides of the head gasket, head and block.
Get the new aluminum intake gaskets
Clean and reuse the metal exhaust manifold gaskets.
Remove oil pan and wipe out the inside.
Flush a quart of cheap oil down the oil valley.
clean clean clean the block and oil pan with brake cleaner. Apply RTV on the oil pan.
When its back together start it up for 2 minutes. Drain oil. Put new oil in. After 20 minutes drain it and put some good oil in. I like 5w40 full syn diesel oil.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 02-23-2014).]

dhen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dhenSend a Private Message to dhenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that's what I was I looking for. I forgot to mention that I pulled the oil pan and the oil there was normal. I was able to move the connecting rods side to side a little but not up and down. I assume this is normal.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, that's what I was I looking for. I forgot to mention that I pulled the oil pan and the oil there was normal. I was able to move the connecting rods side to side a little but not up and down. I assume this is normal.

That sounds right. Looks like a healthy engine.

------------------
10.91@133.1

dhen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dhenSend a Private Message to dhenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again.

If I decide to go turbo (I wasn't going to decide until later), are L36 heads/intake preferred or does it matter? I have an F-body set that got water in the engine. I also read you can put the L36 intake on the L67 heads if you plug the injector holes on the intake. Do you know if this is true?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have the heads checked for cracks, just to be safe. I mean, you have them off anyway... *shrug*
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks again.

If I decide to go turbo (I wasn't going to decide until later), are L36 heads/intake preferred or does it matter? I have an F-body set that got water in the engine. I also read you can put the L36 intake on the L67 heads if you plug the injector holes on the intake. Do you know if this is true?

You can either keep the L67 heads and plug the injector holes on the n/a intake, retain the L67 fuel rail. or swap to n/a heads and use n/a everything. I don't believe the heads are any different other than injector bungs. If you do get the heads checked it is very common for them to be cracked between the valves. It's just something you have to live with.

------------------
10.91@133.1

dhen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dhenSend a Private Message to dhenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So they can live with the crack? Seems kind of strange.
PFF
System Bot
carguy8t8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3800 and 3400 engines from around 98-05 are very well known for having problems with the plastic lower intake manifold gaskets. The plastic reinforcement breaks and then you get coolant leaking into the intake and crankcase. Replace the lower intake manifold gaskets with AC Delco number 89017825 or FEL-PRO Part # MS98014T. If you check the old plastic lower intake you will likely see the breaks between the intake and coolant ports.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So they can live with the crack? Seems kind of strange. .... NO !
djlamp14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cracks between the valves are fine. It's not a big deal as long as they don't leak.

------------------
11.8@115mph 1/4 mile 1999 Regal GSX being demodded for swap into a 87 Fiero GT.
11 sec pass>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQT4X2eBlR8

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perkins used to tell us that cracks in their heads between the valves were OK too, but to me cracks don't get better only worse.But if you have the head off and it's cracked, why put it back on?
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Perkins used to tell us that cracks in their heads between the valves were OK too, but to me cracks don't get better only worse.But if you have the head off and it's cracked, why put it back on?

good luck finding a pair that are not. Ive got a pallet of L67 heads if you are looking for spares.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock