rear Camber question by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 02-18-2014 08:04 PM
Replies: 17 (367 views)
Last post by: rdean on 02-21-2014 07:32 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without taking it to a Alignment shop, (I don't think there's a "competent" place to do it in this city). Using a piece of 2x4 cut to rest on the rim outer ring,
(15" snowflakes), should the wheel be perfectly " up and down" (using a Level), or should it be "Leaning In" like a 1/8" on top ??? I wish I had the use of an alignment Rack, I've taken 3 of my cars to different places, and always get them back "NOT right" but plenty of excuses. Anyone live in OCALA Fl, and "KNOW" of a Competent place for alignments they can recomend ? I Know where Not to go. Thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's where I set mine, 0 camber, 0 toe,made a huge difference. If the floor your on is level, that would put the wheel level.

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 02-18-2014).]

bc12dJohn

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bc12dJohnSend a Private Message to bc12dJohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have experimented with the camber on my 86 SE. I have found that 1/8 neg. camber on all four gives great cornering and does not cause any abnormal tire wear. I would say, leave them where they are, that is ideal.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ideally, the top of the wheel would be tilted inward a little bit, i.e. negative camber.
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The alignment specs are here:
http://home.comcast.net/~fi...e/fieroalignment.htm

Rear camber is negative 1.0 degrees.

It's been a long time but I remember seeing a video on youtube from somebody who had a very thorough method of doing a complete alignment at home. Takes a lot of patience and time though, but on the other hand you can control the quality of the result instead of having to trust somebody who doesn't really care.

The shops have much fancier equipment, but I suspect the real reason for that equipment is because it saves them money on labor, not because they actually achieve any great level of accuracy with it. Maybe they *could*, but they don't. I believe sweat equity (or better) can apply here, if you have the patience for it.

[This message has been edited by armos (edited 02-19-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my very limited experience of doing wheel alignments at home, setting the proper toe in/toe out on all four corners is a whole lot more challenging than doing the camber.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-19-2014).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And be aware that changing the camber on a pre 88 make a big difference in the rear toe adjustment.
As you go neg. on the camber (top tipped in) the wheel toes in more. Makes the rear really squirrely when the toe is off from 0.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 02-19-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea, I found that out ! I've got both front and rear camber slightly neg, but still have to set the "Toe" both front and rear. Maybe I'll take it to the shop, They should probably be Able to "handle" just setting the Toe correctly ! Maybe if I "Stand over them" while they do it . LOL
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 02-19-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know a good alignment shop in Ocala but I do know of a very good one in Leesburg Fl. Its called Gibson's tire and alignment. They don't sell tires, all they do are alignments and tire balancing and suspension work. That's where I am taking my Fiero when I put new rear struts in. Its a little drive but well worth it.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what do they get for an alignment ? long ride, but maybe take the 87 there after the 3800 is installed and running.
PFF
System Bot
rdean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rdeanSend a Private Message to rdeanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou

I have everything needed for alignment here.
Give me a call

Ray
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is Weirsdale Fl. I'm in Tampa. My car follows any irregularity in the road. I was waiting until I got my tie rods in to set alignment. Would love it if you were available to help me. Or am I imposing?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Knight, I believe it's about 1 1/2 hrs north of you
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had mine at -2.0 rear, -1.5 front and neutral toe on my scca autocross car
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea what Gibson will charge me for a 4 wheel alignment but it will be worth it to me to have the job done right. Work I have had them do in the past was no more expensive than the chain automotive shops.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks Ray, may do that. right now getting ready to install the 3800Sc into a 87 I picked up. alignment for both will wait.
rdean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rdeanSend a Private Message to rdeanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Knight
probably too far from you but if you have an issue you can't resolve I will do what I can.

CSjag
Had a very nice visit with you yesterday looking forward to seeing you again.

Lou
Glad to hear you got the damage repaired. After seeing your other work the outcome was never in doubt.

Ray

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock