Neutral safety switch won't work. by pgold
Started on: 02-18-2014 07:14 PM
Replies: 3 (268 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 02-18-2014 09:38 PM
pgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im fighting this problem with my neutral safety switch. My fuel pump won't come on when first keyed. Also the back up lights won't work either. all of these things run thru this switch. I had to use a jump wire to bypass the switch just to even start the car. I thought that replacing the switch would solve my problem but it still won't work even with the new switch. Does the switch need to be calibrated? OR may i have a switch problem inside the steering wheel that is not powering the neutral safety switch? I have a extra steering column but looking for answers before i try to swap it out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked all of your fuses and have you checked for power at the safety switch when your key is turned on? If it works when jumped I would imagine the wiring is okay but the switch must not be calibrated properly, there is an adjustment on the shaft so that it makes contact when you press the clutch in.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any loose or broken wires on the connector that attaches to the switch? I found a broken wire on my connector.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pump circuit is independent of NSS.
The NSS needs to be adjusted by inserting a 3/32" pin into the service adjustment hole, loosening the mounting bolts, and then rotating the NSS to where the pin drops to a depth of 9mm.
Other than the ignition switch mounted onto the top of the column, there are no other electrical components in the column that would affect power feed to the NSS.
With key in START position, you should have power to pin F (yellow) on the NSS plug. Power comes from fusible link through ignition switch, no connection through fuse box.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 02-18-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock