Tire flat spotted by Csjag
Started on: 02-18-2014 07:50 AM
Replies: 2 (154 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 02-18-2014 10:34 AM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought an 85 GT a month or so ago that had been parked in a garage for 2 years and turned over occasionally but not driven due to a bad fuel pump. I have the car back on the road after replacing the fuel pump and draining the tank and having it cleaned and sealed as well as redoing the front brakes. At least one of the tires is flat spotted from sitting in the same spot for so long. The flat spot is noticeable while driving. My question is if this will work itself out after driving for awhile? The tires are 215/55-16. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may work out, but how old are the tires? Best bet would be to replace the tires, as the belts in the tires may be broken from sitting so long.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. Some tires may work out after their driven a while on a hot road. Most though that have set for any years are permanently flat spotted. If you do store a car, you need to get the tires off the ground (keeping the suspension loaded), or remove them completely. Radial tires are far worse than bias. The original tires on my SuperBee would flat spot bad enough to shake the whole car after even a month. An hour of driving usually smoothed them out. I personally try not to leave a car set over a week or two without at least driving it around the block.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock