installing aftermarket sttering wheel by logical1
Started on: 02-17-2014 10:00 PM
Replies: 10 (245 views)
Last post by: craigsfiero2007 on 02-18-2014 08:38 PM
logical1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought a 6 hole steering wheel. Did a few searches and from what I read it seems the same but I was wondering if anyone had a fiero specific video or walk through so I know each step. Of the way.

Also on a side note doea an 88. 2.5 get really need a functional tach to drive properly? My whole guage unit is from a different year setup and I juat need to know how serious it is. Ive herd of speedo and it did idle high untill I swapped in junk speedo it seems calmer now, just tach stays all tge way max but maintains calm idle. I posted in mall section trying to buy a year and model specific 1. Im just trying to learn abt these fiero's aswell. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut my stock wheel down to just the center section and brazed six nuts to the back side to make my steering wheel adapter. Sorry no video.

No, the tach is not needed at all for the engine to function correctly.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am getting ready to install a Momo in my Formula when the rest of my parts come in.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128119.html
logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok sweet, thanks to you both im going to follow the link and try that but im going to remove my steering wheel and see if I can make that adapter in the meantime. Unless local part store has it. Also thanks for that tach info. I thing im just going to open up spped glass and remove tach needle all together. May use a cluster overlay while im in there. I figure what the helllll lets spice it up. A scaple with a few slits will allow light through. I may even mout a led strip for late drives. Thanks im sooo stoooked to jump on this. Cant wait till I get another day off
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to complicate (or simplify) things too much, but with minimal effort a Fiero hub can be made to fit a Momo steering wheel. No adapter or replacement hub is required. I recently put a Momo in my Formula.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-18-2014).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Not to complicate (or simplify) things too much, but with minimal effort a Fiero hub can be made to fit a Momo steering wheel. No adapter or replacement hub is required. I recently put a Momo in my Formula.

Yes. This is very true. And to correlate this to the OP, one of the things you will have to consider with a hub adapter is that it is likely going to decrease the distance between you and the wheel itself. That may not sound like much, but consider that your overall driving position is dictated by how you're seated in relationship to the way your legs are bent and your arms hold the wheel.

The best way to test this is take the wheel you have now, sit in the car like you normally would, and hold the aftermarket wheel about an inch and a half from the Fiero wheel (so roughly hold it gripped against the wheel on there now and come back towards you just a hair). Combining that space with the thickness of the Fiero wheel, and you'll get roughly where the aftermarket wheel would be positioned with a common wheel adapter.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

I cut my stock wheel down to just the center section and brazed six nuts to the back side to make my steering wheel adapter. Sorry no video.

No, the tach is not needed at all for the engine to function correctly.

Do you have pics of how you did this or of it finished?
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would be interested in seeing your setup. Did you have to cut up a steering wheel?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Did you have to cut up a steering wheel?

Not "cut up", but it requires taking a GT steering wheel apart. (Lots of scrap ones of those available with gunk oozing out of them.)

If it stops raining, I'll take and post some pictures.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The PO tried welding the old hub to the back of a new steering wheel, it fell off. Good thing that didn't happen on the highway!! I popped the $19 for the adapter. Don't take chances with steering or brakes.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not "cut up", but it requires taking a GT steering wheel apart. (Lots of scrap ones of those available with gunk oozing out of them.)

If it stops raining, I'll take and post some pictures.

I only have one GT Steering Wheel and its too nice to risk taking it apart. The GT Steering wheel in the Fiero now needs some refurbishing, but its still a decent one. But if I come across one in a junkyard sometime, I would take it apart. Maybe I could turn one when I get some free time.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock