Tires...argh! by PatrickTRoof
Started on: 02-16-2014 10:24 AM
Replies: 37 (1003 views)
Last post by: Black84originalowner on 05-05-2014 03:37 PM
PatrickTRoof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After finally getting my '85 GT tagged and on the road, the next step is a new set of tires. I've talked to two local shops who both quoted me north of $700 for a set, telling me that 215/60/14 is a rare size anymore. Ouch.

My question is, do you all recommend any online tire sources? I've heard that purchasing tires online is cheaper even with shipping, than what a shop charges for their tires.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The store is in Las Vegas, but you could almost pay for the trip with what you save....

http://www.rims4less.com/pr...60&thirdatt=14&cat=7
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup. Only found BFG's in that size here:
https://www.tiredirect.ca/search2.aspx

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-16-2014).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.discounttiredire...d=14&sw=false&cs=215

http://1010tires.com/Tires/215-60R14

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 02-16-2014).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My friend got a decent, cheap set of tires from here.

http://www.onlinetires.com/

If you got the cheapest tire from here, it would be roughly $300 shipped.

I got my wheels and tires from http://www.discounttiredirect.com

They only have one tire available in your size though and it ain't cheap.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even cheaper......who knows where they come from.....

http://www.onlinetires.com/...formoza+fd1+91h.html
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know you have an '85 GT and thus you have the 14" hi-tech wheels. However, have you considered upgrading to the '86-'88 GT 15" diamond spoke wheels? The reason I ask is that the tires are a lot cheaper in the OEM sizes for the 15" diamond spoke GT wheels. I got Firestone all-seasons last year in the OEM 15" GT sizes for $70 a tire.

Taking that into consideration, you could get a set of tires for under $300, and people all the time sell sets of the 15" GT wheels for under $200. It's a cost, size, and versatility upgrade all the way around.

Finding tires for the 14" and especially the 13" wheels used on the base coupes are going to be harder and more expensive since not too many cars use below a 15" wheel nowadays. Even my daily driver econo-box uses a 15" wheel.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 02-16-2014).]

MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As stated above, check out discount tire direct. I was in the same position as you are, with someone before me putting 14" on an 86 GT. I was going to go the "buying stock 15" mesh wheels" route, but this was much better. From discount tire, I received these 16" wheels and 225/50R16 tires shipped to me (mounted and balanced, ready to fit on the car!) for $617.

They have some great sales on wheels and tire packages if you buy four at a time. Plus, if you buy four tires/wheels, they will ship them mounted and balanced at no extra charge.

[This message has been edited by MacGyversMullet (edited 02-16-2014).]

FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, you should consider looking at the "Tire Rack.com".
The link below came from using their tire search feature.
I asked for 205/60-14 front tires and 215/60-14 rear tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tir...r=15&wtpackage=false
The site came up with 16 sets of tires that meet those criteria.
If none of these choices is acceptable, then perhaps you should consider changing to either 15" or even 16" wheels to give you more (and perhaps better), choices.

Good Luck, with your search
Let us know what your final decision and choice will be.

~ Bob ~

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBobo:

Hi, you should consider looking at the "Tire Rack.com".
The link below came from using their tire search feature.
I asked for 205/60-14 front tires and 215/60-14 rear tires.
The site came up with 16 sets of tires that meet those criteria.
~ Bob ~

Well not quite. Your search was for 15" tires. Tire Rack only has 2 very expensive 14" tires.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I almost always get tire/wheel combos from Tire Rack. I usually get a set delivered, mounted and balanced for $600...and usually the next day if I call in soon enough.A local guy I also deal with usually gets me a set of just tires for around $300. I got Dunlops for one Fiero, Coopers on one Corvette, and Kumhos on another for around that. The Kumhos btw, were trash on wet roads. He got Mastercrafts for the motorhome (19.5s) for $200 each.
PFF
System Bot
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the info, guys, I will look into all of those options.

I would love a set of 15" mesh rims, ideally, but at this point I'd even consider getting
a cheap set of steel 15 or 16" rallyes to hold more affordable tires. I'll definitely keep you
Posted.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got Michelin Defenders in 14" with wheels, mounted and balanced, not cheap, from tirerack.com shipping not cheap either, but I just want to say they've been very good. The weather has been terrible this year, but the tires allow me to drive about as well as big awd vehicles and better than the Chrysler 200 rental I had for three days when I tore the brake line off.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What size Defenders?
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got 15 inch diamond spoke rims off a wrecked Fiero, Falken 215/60R15 for $52 each. Speedometer is 5% slow. But they look so much better in the wheel wells. Dad gave me 205/60R15 ties off one of his Ford cars.
I think for 215/60R15, for under $100 a tire, the Falkens are best. Did a lot of research on this. Actually better than the 225/35R17 Khumo tires I had on the 8x17 inch rims I had on my car before I got 4 rims that match. The rims were aftermarket from an infinity I30 that my brother had. Looked damn good, but were a discontinued style.
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Knight

364 posts
Member since Apr 2006
BTW, much better in the wet than the Khumos
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I think they're 195 60 14. Will check tomorrow. If you enter 85 GT (at tirerack.com) and select 14," they'll still come up.

Somehow they now say stock is 13 inches! Could that be?

Big snow again Monday - lots of fun. I guess saying "can't break it loose" is exaggerating when you're talking snow covered roads, but it's really kind of fun. You can powerslide at ordinary speeds, you can go, but you can also stop. If you rush to get out of a driveway or side street you may find yourself flailing a little. I also got Koni's all around in the fall, and TFS drilled rotors and carbomet pads last month.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

Sorry, I think they're 195 60 14. Will check tomorrow. If you enter 85 GT (at tirerack.com) and select 14," they'll still come up.

I see 195/70 x 14. On my '84 I've been using 225/60 x 14 BF Goodrich Radial T/As. Seem to be the only 60 series 14"...
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you're right, 195 70 R14
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by PatrickTRoof (edited 04-19-2014).]

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm going to go with 195/70/14 for now, because they are way cheaper, and when I can eventually get the 215/60/14s, I can put the other ones on my Volvo, and have newer tires on that car as well.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beware of Discount Tire. They are dictatorially enforcing tire load indexes, which sounds okay in theory, but their numbers are completely bogus.

They will refuse to sell you any tire that doesn't meet their arbitrary and capricious numbers.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132538.html

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Beware of Discount Tire. They are dictatorially enforcing tire load indexes, which sounds okay in theory, but their numbers are completely bogus.

They will refuse to sell you any tire that doesn't meet their arbitrary and capricious numbers.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132538.html

That's bizarre. Thanks for the heads-up.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just tell them you're putting them on a farm trailer.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TireBuyer.com has 185/60-14 General Altimax high performance tires with free delivery to the installer for $238 for a set of 4. When I bought my 85 GT a few months ago it came with an extra set of tires and rims that were on the car when po bought it, that was the size of the tires. There are quite a few brands to choose from in this size.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I called Tire Kingdom, 14" tires are available and about $90 a tire. (Cooper)
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

TireBuyer.com has 185/60-14 General Altimax high performance tires with free delivery to the installer for $238 for a set of 4. When I bought my 85 GT a few months ago it came with an extra set of tires and rims that were on the car when po bought it, that was the size of the tires. There are quite a few brands to choose from in this size.

215/60-14 was the 1985 GT OE size...
TireBuyer has the BF Goodrich Radial T/A@ $507 for 4 & Nexen CP641 $284 for 4.
Anyone know where Nexen tires are made? Anyone tried them?

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nexen tires are made in China, I have a set of Fuzion tires on my 85 2M4 and they are also made in China and perform very well, They are smooth all the way to 75 mph and I haven't even had to add any balance weights. The only reason the 205-60/14 white letter tires were used on the GT was for "appearance" performance, it wasn't because they added anything noticeable to handling or performance.
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I have also been looking for tires would like them to look stock so have been looking every where.
The sock sizes for 14 were 195/70r14 and 215/60r14, the problem with 185/60 14 would be a difference of 2" smaller diameter and almost 6" smaller
circumference so what was 60 mph would now be 55 with the smaller tire.
Bfgoodrich makes a 215/60 ta radial with raised white letters like stock but with mounting and tax come in just under $700 for 4
looking for a good stock looking tire give you the bent over feeling
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct about the 185's being smaller in diameter but I would like to try them, I'll bet I would notice a quicker 0 to 30 time.
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry didn't mean for it to sound like a complaint just pointing it out. My problem is I cant afford what I want , and don't
like what I can afford.
PFF
System Bot
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, after my left rear tire exploded on I-70, I managed to get a used, matching set of 195/70/14s. Not ideal, but they only cost $160, including disposal fees.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at Firestone Champion HR. About $288.00 for set of 4 tires. plus installation, balancing and taxes. I put a set on My 87 GT about a year ago and have been happy with them. I bought them on a special, buy 3 get 1 free at that time. They also have other brands. I do not know about other locations by mu local Firestone store did a great job on them. I warned them about where to jack up the Fiero to avoid damage to coolant tubes, etc. and they listened. I also requested that no weights be put on the outside of the rim and they did that correctly also. Tires handle good are quiet and show no wear after 4K miles. You do not need super high speed performance tires for a Fiero, they do not go fast.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a good price on the Firestone tires, what size were they?
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are stock sizes. Go to Firestone online and you will see them. Google Firestone Tires.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They say they build this in 14", but the price is a shock.

http://www.firestonecomplet...one/AffinityTouring/

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-04-2014).]

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OOPS ! I just did not read your post well enough. You have an 85 and I have an 87. Sorry for the misinformation.
Black84originalowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black84originalownerSend a Private Message to Black84originalownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I vote for the 195-70-14's. 215's are hard to find, not actually in stock and/or overpriced. Wht if you get a side wall nail in a year or two and no loner find 215's?
If you want performance you should upsize your wheels. The 195-70-14 were the standard in the base Fiero anything later than 84(which had base 13").
Only reason for anything elese is if it is an all original show car?
Just a couple months ago I got Coopers Lifeliners from Tirekingdom with nominal sale was ~329+/- out the door. They seem good.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock