3400 and 3.4 question by heavyRfoot
Started on: 02-15-2014 07:03 PM
Replies: 9 (279 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 02-18-2014 03:16 PM
heavyRfoot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One simple question. I think its simple. Im want to do a 3.4 swap i know the 3400 doesnt just bolt right up do to the heads. I got a lead on a 3400 out of a 2000 car. It has a broken cam shaft. If i swapped out my 2.8 heads to the 3400 block will it bolt up the rest of the way like a 3.4 from the f-body or is it just not going to work unless i swap over everything else. I dont want to get into wires and that cra. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
heavyRfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know. Also what about a 3.1. Just trying to open up my opions and get ideas
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you swap iron heads onto a 3400, the resulting compression ratio will be abysmally low. If you do that, you should replace the 3400 pistons with 3.4 F-Body pistons... or maybe 3.4 TDC pistons if you want a higher compression ratio.
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll need to get the right length push rods as well.

Yes, the 3400 heads are different, but the heads/intake breathe much better than the Fiero's. If you're willing to go a bit farther and swap the wiring harness and ECM as well, you can run the 3400 as a 3400. Darth(GmTuners.com) can reporgram the 3400 ECM for ya. You don't need any special mounts (just the stock v6) for it, except for the dogbone. The alternator is mounted where the dogbone goes on the Fiero V6. You'll either want to re-mount it low down, or you'll have to notch the trunk lid. And you'll need to do a custom exhaust, unless you want to modify the stock exhaust manifold logs to fit; i read somewhere around here that can be done, though I would expect them to be restrictive.

If you want to run the 3400 block, have a look around for FieroSound's web-page or his write-up here on PFF.

The short of it is if you want to stick with the fiero ECM/heads, you'd probably do better finding a 3.4.
heavyRfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so ive found a 92 rs camaro with the 3.1 in it i know the bore s are different then the 3.4 but what about the heads or can i bolt that motor in like the 3.4 or am i just fishing here. Im not looking to have a super fast car i jist want a little bit more power and something to build up a little on a stand to give myself a hobbie. And also to give the old girl a little bit more life
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.1 in the Camaro is an RWD engine, which means you'll need to drill holes for the starter bolts. It's basically like installing a 3.4 V6, but with less displacement and less oomph.

Also, the iron heads on the Fiero V6 and all the Camaro 3.1 / 3.4 engines are the same. Same goes for the 3.1 minivan engine with iron heads.
heavyRfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok that part sounds good to me. Guy is asking 250$ for it not sure if runnig or not is that to high or what. Again ill probably tear it all down and rebuild from bottom up just to make it a small side project
heavyRfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

heavyRfoot

627 posts
Member since May 2007
Ok that part sounds good to me. Guy is asking 250$ for it not sure if runnig or not is that to high or what. Again ill probably tear it all down and rebuild from bottom up just to make it a small side project
BillS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The initial cost of the core engine is the smallest budget item. No point scrimping there - I'd go straight for a 3.4 rather than the 3.1 even if it takes some time to find the right one.

The 3400 makes an even better swap candidate, but is a bit more work and you lose the stock Fiero appearance as the heads and valve covers are different.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Bill. If there are any 3.4 V6 engines available, then don't even bother with the 3.1. Plus, with the 3.4 V6 you can drop in 3.4 TDC pistons and get around 10:1 compression.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock