Decklid removal and torsion bar adjustment by notaguru
Started on: 02-15-2014 12:39 PM
Replies: 7 (850 views)
Last post by: Chelo Fiero on 02-15-2014 07:29 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This '88GT is about to get a wingotomy, but without that weight the decklid may fly up - dangerously. My choices are:
1. Add 20-30# of weight (lead?) to the inside of the decklid, as needed to balance the springs.
2. Reduce spring tension to match the new lighter decklid.
I prefer #2, but it looks difficult.

Is there a step-by-step Torsion Rods for Dummies somewhere?

Thanks

PS - anyone in SoCal need a wing?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

This '88GT is about to get a wingotomy, but without that weight the decklid may fly up - dangerously. My choices are:
1. Add 20-30# of weight (lead?) to the inside of the decklid, as needed to balance the springs.
2. Reduce spring tension to match the new lighter decklid.
I prefer #2, but it looks difficult.

Is there a step-by-step Torsion Rods for Dummies somewhere?

Thanks

PS - anyone in SoCal need a wing?

I used a ratchet strap like the one featured in the link posted by Gall757. It worked great for me. The straps are available at Lowe's or other hardware stores. The only thing that I need to do was to cut off part of the strap as it was too long to be completely rolled up. I had tried a number of other pry bars and such, but the ratchet strap did the job.
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added tension to mine when I put a luggage-rack on mine. I used a red nylon tie-down to good and easy effect, similarly to the link cited above.

-Michael
ILVMYGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I removed my wing the deck lid fly open. There was not enough adjustment to reduce the tension. I ended up replacing the torsion rods with softer rods. You might consider the gas spring that Rodney Dickman sells.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap.
Paint in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh-oh!
Inspecting my car - with a ratcheting tiedown strap ready to go - I see that on the right hand side the "pin" that goes into the tension-selecting hole is partly out - perhaps 1/2" of the shaft is exposed.

That'll get fixed, but I still don't see where the tiedown strap should attach at the firewall end...

[This message has been edited by notaguru (edited 02-15-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest a heavy piece of wood to protect the rear glass....just in case...You cant be too careful.
Chelo Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just instal some struts like the one that Rodney sell, and when you open the decklid it just comes up smoothly and stops at the lenght of the strut. That is what i did im my gt and looks cool man when it is raising.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock