Iron duke white smoke out of exhaust, misfire and top end rattle by Fadingaway
Started on: 02-15-2014 12:32 PM
Replies: 8 (758 views)
Last post by: White 84 SE on 08-28-2014 11:00 AM
Fadingaway

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing these are my symptoms of a collapsed lifter? It will run like crap, I let it warm up shut it off again and it runs like a champ what the hell is going on with this thing
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Year?

White smoke? Maybe blow head gasket.
Antifreeze can kill the cat and maybe O2 sensor too.

older years have weak head bolts that can blow head gasket.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a 1984, its white smoke but it reeks of gasoline, spark plug #4 is black and the others are clean. The exhaust hits the snow and turns the snow into soot. I've replaced the IAC MAP fixed the overheating problem (radiator fan wasn't working). Only when the motor would overheat on the dash would it run nice and smoothe
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 05:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fadingaway:

Its a 1984, its white smoke but it reeks of gasoline, spark plug #4 is black and the others are clean. The exhaust hits the snow and turns the snow into soot. I've replaced the IAC MAP fixed the overheating problem (radiator fan wasn't working). Only when the motor would overheat on the dash would it run nice and smoothe

What did this problem turn out to be? It sounds like it likely a stuck valve in #4. Likely carbon build up. Is that what is was? I got an 84 that is smoking...I am thinking piston rings in my case. Good Luck.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by White 84 SE:

What did this problem turn out to be? It sounds like it likely a stuck valve in #4. Likely carbon build up. Is that what is was? I got an 84 that is smoking...I am thinking piston rings in my case. Good Luck.

Do a wet/dry compression test. This will tell you the condition of rings, cylinders and valves.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
White smoke sounds like you have coolant getting into the cylinders, could be a head gasket or cracked head. If the rings are shot, you will get some pretty bad blow-by. Check the air cleaner housing for excess oil. Also, with the engine running, remove the oil fill cap and see how much air pressure there is coming from the opening. Bad rings will cause the combustion gasses into the crankcase and you will have a pretty good puff coming out.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, this is a 6 month old thread. I seriously doubt the guy is still trying to figure out what's wrong with the car.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Guys, this is a 6 month old thread. I seriously doubt the guy is still trying to figure out what's wrong with the car.

Our responses were to "White 84 SE" who just posted that he also has problems. (ok...my response, anyway, maybe not Tony's )

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 08-27-2014).]

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey thanks Neil, I will do that real quick to see. In my case I hogged out the valve throats (might have gone too far) and the tops of the cylinders got rusty being exposed for a few years (might need to go to larger piston).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock