New electrical gremlin by marchi1
Started on: 02-15-2014 12:06 PM
Replies: 14 (288 views)
Last post by: aaronkoch on 02-23-2014 11:56 AM
marchi1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marchi1Send a Private Message to marchi1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright you guys are awesome as with the taillights it was a bad ground, and now we are back here with another issue:

Car started and ran for couple weeks, last week went for a drive and it made it about 1/4 mile from the house and died. There is no power now making it to the front of the car at all (headlights stuck part way up).

I am getting power down to the starter on the main black wire, and the red fusible link that come off of the "b" terminal is good, but it doesn't have any power on that lug. I have good conintuity on verything and good power going through everything in the engine bay, but not getting any power up to the front of the car.

Like I said I drove it for some time, but the let another person drive it and I have no idea what happened.

Will chase any suggestions right now as I would like to get this car on the road, just put plates on it and would like the kid to start driving it.

Car is a 1986 with the 2.5L and a manual transmission.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
have you checked all the fuses?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
also check the negative battery cable
MrRich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrRichSend a Private Message to MrRichEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have extra ground straps from the engine to the body? Do you have dielectric grease on the ground and positive cables to the battery? You never have enough ground straps.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MrRich:

Do you have extra ground straps from the engine to the body? Do you have dielectric grease on the ground and positive cables to the battery? You never have enough ground straps.

I'd recommend against using dielectric grease on any terminal connectors, it might contaminate the actual conductor surface when the terminals are removed and installed again.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The fusible link to the headlights is here.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 02-15-2014).]

marchi1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marchi1Send a Private Message to marchi1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All fuses up front are good, but there is no power getting to the front of the car. I have good voltage at the starter, the alternator, and the distribution block next to the battery. All ground show good continuity that I can find....going to check all the fusible links by the battery tomorrow (hopefully) and maybe that will find me something as I have no power at any of the wires inside the car.

I appreciate the help guys....would like to get this going so the boy can drive it.
marchi1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marchi1Send a Private Message to marchi1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe a ground I missed up front somewhere?
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am not in any way versed in electrical, but i do a lot of reading on these forums. if all above checked out, check your headlight switch, brake switch or the high beam switch.
when you turn lights on, do the rear tails at least light? what about brake lights? these are all connected at some point and a fault in any might contribute to your issue.
marchi1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marchi1Send a Private Message to marchi1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checked all fusible links, even the one down by the starter, and all are showing continuity. there is no power forward of the firewall. none of the constant hots have power, none of the switched are getting power, and this thing has me totally confused.......

I know I gotta be missing something really obvious...there are no rub or wear points, nothing is showing an obvious arching or burn spot.

There is nothing with any of the lights...actually the headlights are stuck part way up right now.

[This message has been edited by marchi1 (edited 02-22-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go back to Phonedawgz' diagram. You have power at the junction block and you say the fusable links show continuity. So move to the next item on the chart....any voltage?....somewhere it stops.
PFF
System Bot
marchi1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marchi1Send a Private Message to marchi1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first rule of electrical troubleshooting is make sure all your connections are tight. The connection for that little distribution block one was tight the other not so much. tightened it up...no worries.

The joys of a rookie assistant.....he knows better now to make sure they are all tight.

[This message has been edited by marchi1 (edited 02-22-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
marchi1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marchi1Send a Private Message to marchi1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
exactly.....
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, that's a cheap and valuable learning opportunity. No harm, no foul.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock