Weird new problem by BrittB
Started on: 02-15-2014 11:38 AM
Replies: 6 (171 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 02-16-2014 11:23 AM
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turn signals problems are my latest issue. Left side works normal but the right side doesn't blink, they just light up. I tried replacing the corner marker bulbs with new ones as well as the rear tail light bulb. I'm going to install a new one in the front but it does currently work, it's like it has a flasher issue. Are there two flashers, one for each side?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One flasher.....
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do all the turn signal and running light bulbs work correctly? If not fix that problem first and your other one will most likely also be fixed.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they seem to all be working.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dash bulb work? Often connections are just loose. Try removing bulbs, cleaning, squeezing the side marker sockets, etc. etc. Often it's the connection rather than the bulb. Could also be grounds.
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might need to probe around with a multimeter. If you have access to the official manual then compare with a wiring diagram. The diagram in the Haynes manual is completely wrong for an 86GT, I don't know if it's right for any particular model. Don't put faith in it.

Bad ground can cause this. I had that happen on my car. Same exact symptoms, problem turned out to be a bad connection to ground at the front bulb socket. It would still light up but nothing would blink.
I had bought a new socket so I thought the problem was elsewhere. Nope, once I got a correct diagram it narrowed back down to the new socket - it was just as bad as the old one. The ground is in 2 pieces inside the socket. There's the wire from the harness which ends in a metal tab, and then there's another metal tab which leads to the bulb connection. Those metal tabs just touch each other through spring tension. I broke open the socket and soldered those tabs together, epoxied the socket back together, and that was what fixed it.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is one turn signal flasher. When you flip the switch for left or right, the electricity flowing through the flasher gets shunted to the left or right side turn signal circuit. So you don't have a bad flasher.

Chances are it's a bad turn signal bulb (probably the right front, since you said you checked the rear), or a bad electrical connection somewhere. Considering how old our cars are now, it's possible one of the light sockets has corrosion or gunk inside interfering with the electrical connection.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock