Gas Pedal and Turn Signals; Any thoughts appreciated by WhateverUSMC
Started on: 02-14-2014 08:50 PM
Replies: 11 (317 views)
Last post by: 88FieroGT TTops on 02-17-2014 09:53 PM
WhateverUSMC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhateverUSMCSend a Private Message to WhateverUSMCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put this under Electrical because of my unfamiliarity with these issues. If this is not correct, I apologize.

First off, I want to thank all of you. Getting this car on the road has been a challenge, even having owned several of these before. Between this forum, the Fiero Store, and the Fiero Factory, I've been able to get this thing moving again, and moving well. This thing would not be under way if not for you all, that's just a fact.

There is a lot of cosmetic things I want to do (looking for a stock radio, if anyone has an 'in'). I'm not much into the modding scene, although I've seen a lot of them that look cool. I happen to like the Fiero as it was made (Another FYI; apparently in Ontario, a car can have Historic plates at the 30 year mark. 2 years away!).

I'm pretty close to taking this thing in for safety and registration (again, FYI; in Ontario, if a car is 20+ years old, you don't pay the regular used car sales tax; it has to be appraised). There are two minor (I hope) questions I have left.

The gas pedal is very stiff. It takes a great deal of effort to push it down. I already Googled this, and I found some archived answers, but nothing which would suggest a next course of action. Plus, I've never had a gas pedal issue before, so I'm in uncharted territory. I need this broken down, Barney/ex-Marine/American style.

Also; the turn signals. They are all working, but they blink really slow. I was wondering if this is normal and I just don't remember it from before, or if this is an issue that needs addressed before I hit Canadian Tire for safety (another FYI; this year in Ontario, cars older than 1987 don't require an e-test; mine's a '86).

[img]

This is her. Currently looking like a hot mess, but she's MY hot mess. Used to be gold, but is fading to silver. Hoping to get the whole thing silver and the interior grey, as that was what my previous one years ago looked like.

Again, thanks to you all!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For sales tax when you register...bring in your insurance documents, it should show what the vehicle is insured for. That is usually sufficient so you don't need to spend money on an appraisal.

Sounds like your throttle cable may be corroded. Disconnect it at the engine and see if it is still stiff. May have to replace it, might be able to drip some PB Blaster down it to free it up.

If the signals are slow, you should check your grounds.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear light harness grounding point is on the outer side of the passenger side upper frame rail. Access is gained by removing the passenger side rear wheel liner. It is up and to the left on the outside of the frame rail.
The front light harness grounding points are on the inside of the panel beside the headlights. There is one on each side. Watch out for sharp edges on the headlight assemblies!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:
Sounds like your throttle cable may be corroded. Disconnect it at the engine and see if it is still stiff. May have to replace it, might be able to drip some PB Blaster down it to free it up.
Oil can make cable problem worse over time. If oil helps then get another cable.

Slow flasher could be someone switch turn flasher to hazard flasher. They are different load rating.
Get a new electronic flasher.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

WhateverUSMC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhateverUSMCSend a Private Message to WhateverUSMCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there another name for the electronic flasher? Having a hard time finding it anywhere online...
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
might try turn signal flasher, or hazzard flasher
WhateverUSMC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhateverUSMCSend a Private Message to WhateverUSMCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WhateverUSMC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhateverUSMCSend a Private Message to WhateverUSMCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great, ty all again! I'll reply here when I know more.
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as ogre said, get the right one. they are 2 different-1 for turn, and 1 for hazard. should replace both anyway with electronic ones.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the appraisal is mandatory unfortunately .any car over 20 years old i think is the cutoff date .just went through this last summer with a 91 civic .my flasher is slow as well , i thought it was just a fiero thing , have to look in to a new one as well . check your throttle butterfly , it might be corroded and stiff .
PFF
System Bot
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a gold fiero 1986 4 cyl. my accelerator cable would "stick"--had to press pedal pretty hard to get past whatever was making it stick---the only thing--didn't do it all the time also I had slow flasher--new battery solved that. As for the sticking gas pedal I think I may have had a kink in the cable--also had come carpet issues around the pedal---hope this helps
P.S.---Keep it Gold!!!

------------------
Pat Jones

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock