Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Should I replace calipers along with rest of brake refresh?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Should I replace calipers along with rest of brake refresh? by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 02-12-2014 01:11 PM
Replies: 19 (290 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 02-16-2014 05:47 PM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received all my replacement parts for hoses. pads, rotors and wondering should I also replace the rotors to complete the job?
I ask because the car sat for 17 years, brakes work decent, but rotors show pitting and the system needs a flush as pedal is a tad mushy.

I am unfamiliar with the Fiero's caliper design, it's robustness or lack there of.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least reseal them. Kits only run a few bucks each, and that will give you a chance to inspect the bores and pistons. After 17yrs the seals are iffy at best.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually, Fieros that sit for that long usually have issues with sticking calipers. The pistons are made of a phenolic material, and can swell and bind.
This may not be true of 88 calipers. I think they have metal pistons.

If the rotors are not pitted badly, the pitting may wear off.
If the pitting is bad enough to feel after a few stops (or a few dozen stops) they should be replaced.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have already received my new rotors, I figured there's no point in running suspect components. I do notice under hard braking the steering wants to veer right. I'll order the seal kit, inspect/test , clean and paint
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mckaymotoworks

521 posts
Member since Jan 2014
ACDelco's site shows a number of seals/caliper rebuilding components need just for the front of my 84'. What exactly do I need?
Just the rubbers seals? ($10.90 Amazon ea.) I guess the others are for a full rebuild, which at that point it would behoove me to buy REMAN's.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be inclined to replace the pistons and seals.
You are probably better off buying remans.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "re-mans" are relatively cheap and come with a lifetime warrantee." Well worth it" if you are not planning a Brake upgrade. that way, there's no "if's" or "maybe's", it's Done.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$85.02 rebuild kit front/rear on Amazon vs $ around $323 front/rear calipers on Ebay.
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They don't have parts stores in Nashville? Why buy calipers from ebay. www.rockauto.com will be a ton cheaper...

Confused...
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazon is local. Plus no core charge. :-)
Ebay is cheaper with free shipping, again no core.

I compared a few places against Rock, they're 2nd most expensive when you figure price, shipping and refundable core.
Why rent money with no return?

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 02-12-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
about $240 for all 4 locally, Why do you want to "SAVE" your old cores ? Plus, if anything ever happens, they are right down the road !
PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm talking about paying a core charge and having to wait on money if your order from Rock rtc
Not so with local, Amazon, Ebay etc. I prefer ACDelco, not available locally. Have had bad luck with AutoZone and Advanced rotors.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mckaymotoworks

521 posts
Member since Jan 2014
One of the hose's was on backorder from Amazon, so I ordered from Ebay. The Ebay order shows up, MADE IN THE USA, the three Amazon's Made In China/Sunsong in ACDelco packaging.
I'm sending those back, I'd at least expect Made In Mexico as I know ACDelco parts are USA/South America unless that's changed. But these have zinc colored fittings, the USA brass.
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front calipers are very basic. If you like to spend some time they can be kitted ea sily. The rear calipers are a different story. The rebuilds are dicy. Check archives here. Hold your breath on the rears. Auto zone has been a bad choice here. Overheated core with soft aluminum. Adjuster would not work for many miles. Did not leak. Some forum member report buying several to get a good one. LIfetime warranty has to be a joke. This means they will keep replacing the rears until you give up returing them.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured as much about the front, have read the rear is a pain. I'll most likely order REMANS from Ebay.

Side note, Amazon has already refunded me the hose's even though I just shipped them back via UPS. I'm guessing since I am a Prime member, either way, I like doing business like this.

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 02-13-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my calipers from Napa.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The search for the last hose 18J399 is getting frustrating. No one can verify country of origin, I do not want a Chinese hose. ACDelco can't even verify as they use multiple facilities worldwide, so I guess I am relegated to searching Ebay/web until I can find a NOS. Anyone have leads on NOS GM/ACDelco?

rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought remanned calipers that had steel pistons in them. When they first came in one had the phenolic piston and I made them return
it and send one with steel. The phenolic pistons are a seizure just waiting to happen. Ray
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost all parts are made in China ,,every rotor is made by the chinese generals
american have demanded Chinese parts,,fought hard,long for chinese parts, many parts are repackage as USA made
many brake pads are made in USA
EBC rotors are made in england ,Chinese quality has improved the past 5 years & some equal EBC ,,wagner brake parts have better quality control
Centric & raybestoes advance tech O.K.
Bremo has had many rotor failures,manufacture in different countries now
fremax made in Brazil many,many more USA companies being forced to Chinese manufacture by high tax & very high operating cost,American prefer cheap low quality,
Hate,detest USA products & Cars amazing to me
auto part profits built the new submarine Nuclear fleet
general Fan Changlong very happy,senior admiral Xu Qaliang has new caucasian Harem
Nuclear middle kingdom Submarines now schedual to patrol USA coast
unfortunately this has to do with auto parts Heads rolled because of bad brake rotors
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I rebuilt my 86 SE for the Ferrari kit, the very next day after I bought it, I put all new calipers and rotors on it. I never had any problem or had to replace them again for 9 years (100K). I think its best to know where your starting. I wouldnt trust brakes that had been sitting any number of years myself.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock