Air vs Manual Repairing by nightscar
Started on: 02-11-2014 08:09 PM
Replies: 7 (201 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 02-12-2014 09:02 AM
nightscar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,
I have been thinking about this for a few days now and although it may be a dumb question.. I wanted some opinions
When it comes to repairs on a fiero is it safe to use air tools?
Air ratchet, impact gun ect..
For instance..
Changing spark plus
Installing the spring belt tensioner system
Brakes
Pretty much hard to move bolts..
Or is it safer to use manual muscle for removing and tightening?

I would love to use air.. Seeing how the engine compartment is a lil snug..
But I would be afraid of snapping something off
O and if you haven't guessed.. I have never used air tools before lol
Which is why this may sound dumb to some
Thank you guys for any tips and info
Todd aka Nigjtscar

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have air tools yet either, but my relatively weak Craftsman battery impact wrench has been helpful getting things loose in a hurry. I also got a DeWalt impact wrench that is powerful enough to remove and replace lug nuts, but will also tear them up. It rounded the bleep out of a brake line fitting I'm still trying to remove. It's pretty hard to get these things in where you need them if you're working on a complete car.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I rarely use my air ratchet anymore. And I do this professionally.
Bolts such as cradle to body, through control arm bushings, it helps to use an impact. The chattering of the hammers helps break the rust loose. Of course within reason. If it stops moving don't keep hammering. Continuing normally results in breaking it off. Back it up to clean threads, spray down, clean and try it again.
No time will I use air on spark plugs. I want to be able to feel it as it moves. I rather have to stop and back off before stripping threads.
I do use a battery 1/4" drive 3/8" adapter impact or drill on a lot of things that have many bolts(transmission pans). I turn the clutches down on the drill or only use light trigger pressure on the impact. I sometimes will use the little impact to LIGHTLY run down head bolts, then always using torque specs after.
Always start them by hand. I run them in with the impact/drill but stop when they just get to the end and then tighten by hand.
The times that I use an air ratchet are the occasions where the bolts have lock tight on them and just wear your arms out. (Caliper saddle to spindle bolts). 1/4" drive air ratchet works well on intake bolts. And then final tighten by hand.
As far as wheels, I say if you can't afford to replace the wheel, run it in, then use a torque wrench.
Some of my fellow techs/mechanics think I'm anal about how much I do by hand. But I tend to do more engine related work than they do. The only ones that I have break off are the ones that have to come out to do the job and are seized. (exhaust manifolds).
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use the air power regularly to remove things...but putting them back together is always by hand. I would never use air on "sensitive" items like spark plugs.
nightscar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

I use the air power regularly to remove things...but putting them back together is always by hand. I would never use air on "sensitive" items like spark plugs.

what about taking spark plugs out? or just by hand always for plugs?

and thank you guys for all the tips and help I guess the approch I will take is, if I can't get it loose by hand then i'll put air to it
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have air tools, but don't use them all the time.
The main times I use them are when I'm doing suspension work, that would otherwise require a lot of wrenching.
I usually tighten things by hand, just to make sure.
I also use air tools to snug up lug nuts, but the final tightening is done by hand.

I also have an electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight, but I only use it for disassembly. Never to tighten anything. It's too powerful.
(Great for running strut-to-knuckle bolts in or out.)
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Air power has no "feel" to it. Spark plugs can be broken, so you don't want to remove them in such a way that you have no "feel". Same thing with removing and installing. Removing generally doesn't require "feel"....just pull it out. When installing...you want to know when it "feels" right, so you do it by hand.
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you get older you will use more air and power tools.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock