Installing OEM Subwoofer by markkrug
Started on: 02-09-2014 10:06 AM
Replies: 15 (1446 views)
Last post by: mnsportsguy1966 on 04-01-2015 10:25 AM
markkrug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to install the OEM Subbox and it is not wanting to go in. Do you have to take the dash out? Does anything else have to come out? I am obviously not doing something correctly. I thought that it would just push up into the space.

Any help our suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Mark
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you trying to install it from the bottom with the port tube installed in the housing?

You have to remove the speaker in the dash, and install the port tube from the top, after installing the enclosure from the bottom. I retrofitted the factory Performance Sound system into my car and it goes in very easy without the port tube on. Also make sure that the chime relay (blue dingy thingy) wiring is out of the way, as you can get caught up on it easily, which makes installing the sub more difficult.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes it easier if you remove the 7mm screw under the right speaker cover and the 10mm bolt under the right side of the dash (by the curtesy light). After doing so, you can pull the dash away just enough to get the sub up in there.

The 1st time I installed one I was able to do it without removing anything. Must have been beginner luck. Since then, I've always had to loosen the dash.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

Makes it easier if you remove the 7mm screw under the right speaker cover and the 10mm bolt under the right side of the dash (by the curtesy light). After doing so, you can pull the dash away just enough to get the sub up in there.

The 1st time I installed one I was able to do it without removing anything. Must have been beginner luck. Since then, I've always had to loosen the dash.

The 10mm head screw by the courtesy light has to be loosened (or removed) anyway, because it's one of the mounting points for the subwoofer housing bracket.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if this will help, but this is what it looks like with the dash removed so you can see what might be in the way:

http://www.pontiacperforman...l#SPEAKERS-SUBWOOFER

For what it's worth, when I first bought the sub, I had no problems installing it with the dash in and the speaker still in. I think the only thing I had to do was remove a bolt / bracket (that it attaches to) and then I could slide it in there... WITH the vent tube installed. I have an 87 SE... not sure if the other years were a little different around the HVAC box.

markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments. I am going to give it another try Thursday. I got all of the wires ran and hidden. Just need to mount the amp, hook up the stereo, connect the power wire to the battery and get the sub in. Not too much, huh? I hope it sounds good when its in or it will be a lot of work for naught.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to install a factory subwoofer system into my 88 GT without the factory installed option. I'm reviving this thread in hopes someone can help me with the wire connection location for one of the wire pairs that travel from the dome light slider control down the drivers side A-pillar to where it connects under the dash. One wire is white and the other is orange with a white connector on the end. I was told that this connection is found by dropping the under-dash fuse box and locating the connection box behind it. (I think I got this info from a member here but for the life of me I can't locate that thread!)

I think I located the connection block but there is a mess of wires up in there and at least a couple of open connection points. I can barely see the thing let alone get my hand up in there and still see it at the same time. It would be a big help if someone could describe the correct connection point on the connector block. and if someone has a pic that shows it that would be great!

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 03-26-2015).]

mnsportsguy1966

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gee thats exactly where I am on my installation. You are right that the connector goes on
the white connector box behind the fuses. It goes in the same port on the one you took out.
Directions say make sure you remember where you took it out of. So I was very careful feeding
out the old one and when I came to disconnect it, it was already loose and came out before I even
saw which port it came out of. I do know it is in the 2nd row back, but I cant see or am sure
which one as there is no room to hardly even get back there...Now two of us will be very happy
to know which one it goes in...Help???? And as always, thanks!!!
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:
I'm trying to install a factory subwoofer system into my 88 GT without the factory installed option. I'm reviving this thread in hopes someone can help me with the wire connection location for one of the wire pairs that travel from the dome light slider control down the drivers side A-pillar to where it connects under the dash. One wire is white and the other is orange with a white connector on the end. I was told that this connection is found by dropping the under-dash fuse box and locating the connection box behind it. (I think I got this info from a member here but for the life of me I can't locate that thread!)

The Wires coming down the a pillar are Yellow & White/Blk stripe (maybe a little orange after 27years). This connects to a Black connector(C248) that has a Yellow & White wire, and runs along the top of the steering column brace structure & down the RH side of the center console pod to the Sub Woofer AMP. That (C248) connector is above the Fuse Block, sitting above the colume brace you'll probable have to do some feeling around to find it. included picks to help..

Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Orig88GT-NC

209 posts
Member since Oct 2010

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:
------ One wire is white and the other is orange with a white connector on the end. I was told that this connection is found by dropping the under-dash fuse box and locating the connection box behind it. (I think I got this info from a member here but for the life of me I can't locate that thread!)

Originally posted by mnsportsguy1966:
Gee thats exactly where I am on my installation. You are right that the connector goes on the white connector box behind the fuses. It goes in the same port on the one you took out. Directions say make sure you remember where you took it out of. So I was very careful feeding out the old one and when I came to disconnect it, it was already loose and came out before I even saw which port it came out of.

Ok, I may have misunderstood which wires your trying to connect..........
The Orange & White wires are to the Dome/Map Lights... and run to the WHITE connector Block(C200) tucked WAY up on the side above the Fuse Block..
These wires are connected to the (F) pin port.......Not that you can see that

My Dash is out, so looking from the drivers seat......

And from the Front...

Hope this helps..

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ORIG88GT...

You just made my day! Now if I can just get up in there.....

Thanks!!!
PFF
System Bot
mnsportsguy1966

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea me too!!! I'm going at it tomorrow morn...I'll give an update on my progress...
Hopefully I'll finish it off.. good luck too ya too!!!
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yea me too!!! I'm going at it tomorrow morn...I'll give an update on my progress...
Hopefully I'll finish it off.. good luck too ya too!!!

I didn't get to it this weekend. Had brake issues to deal with.

Unless you are removing the dash I think you might find it easier to pull out the drivers side speaker from the dash. Don't know if it will help with the dome light connector on the block, but should help in getting the other pair connected to the wiring harness if you can feed it up into that area.
mnsportsguy1966

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to say it, but I didn't even get to work on it this weekend either...
I do actually have the whole dash out an will agree that is gonna be a
lot easier to feed all the wiring through where it needs to be as I am at the point of
putting the wiring in all the right places. I have done the wiring from the roof down
through the frame and to under where the 2 different sockets need to be connected.
I have also did the installation of the of the amp and subwoofer itself. I'm actually
kind of stuck right now as I see my headliner really needs attention and might as
well do it while everything is apart. Anybody wanna tell me the best way to go?
Repair it or get one from Fiero store. All suggestions welcome...thanks
Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm actually kind of stuck right now as I see my headliner really needs attention and might as well do it while everything is apart. Anybody wanna tell me the best way to go? Repair it or get one from Fiero store. All suggestions welcome...thanks

If it just needs new covering, the fabric/foam backed material you might be able to purchase locally, I have bought it online, a lot of places sell it.
Otherwise it depends on the condition of the headliner backing board. If its not to badly damaged, it might be more cost effective to repair. Several people on the forum have been able to repair theirs using fiberglass resin & then recovering. You can search the forums for details....... If its damaged beyond repair V8 Archie sells fiberglass panels that you can cover or paint yourself, and the Fstore sells ABS panels pre-covered.

Side Note: Since you already have the headliner down and the "A"pillar trim is off ect.. Consider running a spare wire(18-16AWG) up to the dome light assembly. You don't have to connect it on either end right now but down the road you may want to install other accessories...( Maybe a Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror or something....) with a spare wire already run it will make a future install that much easier. (Tip: there is no IGN 12v+ run to the dome light, it does have BAT 12v+ & GND )

------------------
88 GT
Choptop, Vertical Door Hinges
Lowered Suspension w/ 13" Brake Disk
CarPC - WinXP Pro (GT Sport Edition)
+ a lot more.....

[This message has been edited by Orig88GT-NC (edited 03-30-2015).]

mnsportsguy1966

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to check my headliner and it is crumbling apart in places .
I guess I'd have to go with a whole new headliner. Any suggestions?

Thanks

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock