PI$$ing oil. by 87FieroSport
Started on: 02-08-2014 06:46 PM
Replies: 35 (567 views)
Last post by: carbon on 02-11-2014 09:23 AM
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So not two and a half hours ago I put in two quarts.
Now it's all gone.

My distrib isn't wet (It used to leak there. Now it doesn't, and it wasn't as bad.)

Could it be my valve cover on my rear head didn't seat? I do see puffs of smoke from under my window at times.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87FieroSport:

So not two and a half hours ago I put in two quarts.
Now it's all gone.

If it's leaking that much oil, it should be plenty obvious where from. Get under there and look around.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problem is, it's not that obvious, I wouldn't post at all if it was.
Two quarts in two hours.

Not a loose filter
Not a bad drain plug.

Distrib was leaking (Fixed now)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have blue smoke pouring out of the tail pipes?
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, it runs immaculately fine. No blue smoke or anything out the pipes.

But I do smell/see burning oil by the rear head near the dipstick. Almost like a valve cover bolt is loose, or the VCG didn't seat properly.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But I do smell/see burning oil by the rear head near the dipstick.

FYI, that's the forward head.

The outside of your engine would have to be absolutely saturated in oil if it's leaking two quarts in two hours. Oil must be pooling under your car when parked.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does. But seeing as it's happened so much I can't pinpoint it in my own drive.. I just parked on snow to see and get an idea of where it's coming from.
My bottom end is coated.. sadly due to my distrib leaking at the time.

When I left advance (after being there for roughly 10minutes) I noticed a decent pool of oil (After I added some) where I had been parked.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you accidently leave on the old oil filter gasket last oil change? Double gasket will leak like a pig --- please don't ask how I know this. If not, get to a friendly repair shop ASAP and get it in the air - could be something as simple as a loose dip stick tube.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never double gasketed. And I never plan to, I double check all filters and even the filter housing itself.
So that's not an option.
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil pressure sending unit?
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to be obvious here but... Wash your engine then look for leaking oil. A mechanic will do the same thing. 2qts per hour is hardly a seeping gasket. You have something major. Broken oil pressure sensor, loose dipstick tube, oil filter problem, front or rear main seal. find the problem ASAP this is not going to fix itself..
PFF
System Bot
jw3

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jw3Send a Private Message to jw3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Oil pressure sending unit?

That's what it seems like from the description.
Look at the oil sender with the car running.
It should be obvious.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's coming from the forward head area.
I've noticed my Oil pressure bouncing WILDLY at times.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've noticed my Oil pressure bouncing WILDLY at times.

Fiero senders tend to do that. Most likely just a bad sender. Your missing two quarts isn't going to be that easy.

I'll put my money on the dist o-ring even though it doesn't at first appear to be the cause of the oil leakage. Front head in the area nearer the transmission? That's were mine ran off of the engine when my dist o-ring was bad.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 02-08-2014).]

87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it at all possible it's:

Dipstick tube leaking
Valve cover gasket split

And would the sending unit leak? A lot? Smoke can be seen near the dipstick tube.
I can get a good video tomorrow morning.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on the oil pressure sending unit. The fact that it's bouncing pretty much clinches it. It could be the tube, TFS sells a stainless replacement tube, but the bouncing gauge points to failure of the sender. Best to upgrade to the 88 sender which is better and cheaper and doesn't leak. When mine failed there was a great loss of oil, sometimes lots of smoke, but not that much oil in the engine bay, even though I drove for months like that.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

+1 on the oil pressure sending unit. The fact that it's bouncing pretty much clinches it. It could be the tube, TFS sells a stainless replacement tube, but the bouncing gauge points to failure of the sender. Best to upgrade to the 88 sender which is better and cheaper and doesn't leak. When mine failed there was a great loss of oil, sometimes lots of smoke, but not that much oil in the engine bay, even though I drove for months like that.

I'm getting puffs of smoke coming from my passenger side vent.
I know that's where the sender is located, how much would it leak? Astronomically if it was broken?
It bounced around, A LOT. Not even on bumps, straight roads.
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you recently done any work to the motor? Like valve cover gaskets? I had the front one not seat well and it was pissing oil like you state.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

Have you recently done any work to the motor? Like valve cover gaskets? I had the front one not seat well and it was pissing oil like you state.

I recently had the covers off, Yes. I was thinking that exact same thing but was it that bad? Also, it doesn't seem to drain parked.
But if I fill it up and drive, nope. It's all gone.
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup check your gasket I bet it's off like mine was. Use a mirror to look at the gasket you will know when you see it. Mine only leaked when it was running.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As in a loss of a quart through
The day? Or over the span of a week. Mine drained 2 quarts. Today.
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I lost a quart in a 10 min drive!!!
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That.. Sounds bout right.
My total drive today was.. 30 miles.

Got on the highway at 40psi, (15 miles after putting 2 qts in)
Drive for 12 miles or so, Got off at ~18psi.

Then each corner I took.. The dreaded metal rapping sound.
So I drove slow and limped home.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two quarts is an awful lot; I never lost that much that fast. The needle bouncing has to do with the sender grounding out internally - is what I read somewhere on the forum. Is the sender even there? Maybe it's loose. It might pump out a lot of oil if the pipe was leaking or the sender was loose or missing.
kikinz24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your dip stick tube!!! I had rebuilt my engine and had it all together and was pissing oil like crazy here when I set the dipstick tube in I didnt push it down into the block and apparently oil pressure popped it out.. after pressurewashing the underside I took a little rtv silicone at the tuve and pushed it into the block let it set 24hrs and didnt leak a drop since. ( I also used a 3.1 tube bc I had a 3.1 block and the pan is deeper. So I didnt have a bracket to mount it to the head)
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on that possibility. There is a small screw that holds the top end of the tube in place. This happened to me as well, but the tube came out when I was checking the oil and I didn't drive it before solving the problem.
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First car wash and clean.
Then refill oil.
Then do visual inspection.

2 quarts that soon is something big.
The steps above are how to find out what it is in about 5 minutes or less depending how many quarters you use at the car wash.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found it. Well, seeing as cork was used on the forward head........

It slipped a bolt hole, felt behind and I could feel the gasket sticking out, able to grab it.
New rubber ones in now.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Friend blew an oil pressure sending unit on his DOHC and emptied the oil pan in about 1/2 - 3/4 mile. I laughed on my way to work because you could see the line he left on the ground. When the engine was not running he couldn't find the leak.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carbon

4767 posts
Member since Apr 2004
We were typing at the same time...

Glad you found it!

And yeah... the cork gaskets are only for the stamped steel valve covers... not the cast aluminum.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 02-10-2014).]

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

We were typing at the same time...

Glad you found it!

And yeah... the cork gaskets are only for the stamped steel valve covers... not the cast aluminum.

Well, I'm going to remove my cork valve cover gaskets and replace them with the blue ones, immediately!
PFF
System Bot
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I originally had rubber, but my forward one was split, so I replaced it with extra cork I had.
Now I know the the now parted out, soon to be scrapped GT went wrong.. That had cork too. And no oil.

Felpro is nice for the gasket set.. but they should offer Rubber VCG's included in the set for the Fiero.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

87FieroSport

886 posts
Member since Jul 2012
This is what happened.

hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same thing mine did except with the rubber ones. They tend to get a lil slippery when oily.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a very lovely channel to place the gaskets into around the perimeter of the valve cover... if they won't stay in as you try to place it, a couple of strategically placed dabs of RTV in said channel should help.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 02-11-2014).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carbon

4767 posts
Member since Apr 2004

This is what happened.

Wow... yeah, that'll do it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors