Installing the Recall Weather Strip by notaguru
Started on: 02-05-2014 07:18 PM
Replies: 16 (497 views)
Last post by: RPYRAZOO on 04-05-2015 02:11 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like I'll have to make one from "flexible connector material" in the HVAC industry.

It's a heat-resistant fabric strip with metal edges. I plan to drill holes into the mountint points and one edge-strip, and then use sheet-metal screws to affix the LID-SIDE.

However, I haven't figured out how the FIREWALL-SIDE is attached. One post said that it's to be slid in under the rubber around the rear window, but what holds it there?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's not how it worked....it attached only to the decklid and pressed up against the firewall when the lid was closed. When the lid opened, it dropped whatever it was holding on the exhaust manifold.....
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

That's not how it worked....it attached only to the decklid and pressed up against the firewall when the lid was closed. When the lid opened, it dropped whatever it was holding on the exhaust manifold.....

That's an ugly solution. There has to be a better way.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bingo

GM's 'better way' was........remove it.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-05-2014).]

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bingo

GM's 'better way' was........remove it.

LOL

Holy cow that caught me off guard, I almost dropped my tablet. I'm sure you didn't mean for that to be funny but sometimes the truth is very funny.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be great to see the GM original part, though it's obviously wrong and long gone. I think a potential solution is available, assuming it starts with that 'flexible coupling' HVAC material.

That 7"-wide (or so) material has a metal strip along each side. One strip can be screwed into the lid, where the original attachment points are. The other side of the flexible material can be stuck along the bottom of the window glass using an adhesive strip (I have a quantity of that gray stuff that solidly holds panels together in motor homes). The result would be a sagging U-shaped bag that blocks noise and heat, and diverts junk and water to the sides.

??
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would make sure you use the high temp "flex connector". i't's good for 500 F continuous. you don't want to turn you fiero into a firero. I wonder if a few dabs of that 3m weather strip adhesive would work. I use it to sick just about anything together and it takes temps, chems, weather and whatnot really good. you get it at autozone , pepboys,advance ,napa.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's for the factory piece - I think the Original Poster is trying to make one that is attached on both sides.

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a factory one, and it's only about 1-1.5 inches wide. I'd like to make one that mounts in the same manner, but is much longer- long enough to direct all of the crap over the manifold and on to the ground ahead of the engine. I have a DOHC and my primary concern is water in the plug wells causing misses (has already happened). I'd like the diverter to lay over the front head and cover the plugs when the lid is closed, and be out of the way enough for maintenance when the lid is open.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

It would be great to see the GM original part, though it's obviously wrong and long gone. I think a potential solution is available, assuming it starts with that 'flexible coupling' HVAC material.

??

In 2012 I had a 2m4 with the factory one still on it, it was just a rubber seal (loosely) similar to a door weatherstrip. Theres really no need to have it on there though IMO.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A member of I beleave Florida east coast Fiero made a water diverter that worked ,it goes from the engine lid to the fire wall
& it works !! Our central florida fiero meeting is tonight & surely some one will know if it is still available!!
I often hear sizzling after a drive in the rain..
PFF
System Bot
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

A member of I beleave Florida east coast Fiero made a water diverter that worked ,it goes from the engine lid to the fire wall
& it works !! Our central florida fiero meeting is tonight & surely some one will know if it is still available!!
I often hear sizzling after a drive in the rain..

Great!! Even a couple of photos, or a sketch, would be very welcome.
I'm comfortable with the edge that attaches to the hatch. It's the other edge that is uncertain. Should it attach to the firewall somewhere? To a bracket that's attached there? Below the window glass - or TO the glass? And if it should dangle, should it be pretty rigid (Iike GM's), or flexible?

Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Water Diverter Info!
I don't know if the guy makes these anymore, but it has all the data to make one.

[This message has been edited by Robertzep2 (edited 02-06-2014).]

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robertzep2:

Water Diverter Info!
I don't know if the guy makes these anymore, but it has all the data to make one.

Thanks -- that makes sense. On my '88 there no space under the glass for the forward edge of the diverter. I can easily stick it to the glass itself, however, and the result would be waterproof and solid.

Anyone have any CLIPS???
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robertzep2:

Water Diverter Info!

I just emailed him to find out......
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any type of seal attached to the decklid and the chassis will catch debris, etc when the decklid is opened.

It will also require periodic removal of the debris to prevent damage to the seal or the car.

A comment was made by a DOHC owner........
The proper spark plug boot will solve your water trapping problem......
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realize the post date is a bit antiquated, but has anyone purchased one of these lately and if so, is the E-mail contact still valid? I receintly replaced my window side exhaust manifold on my V-6 and I'd like all the protection I can get--------NEVER want to do that job again!
Thanks again.
Rich

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock