Installing an Amp by 4thfiero
Started on: 02-04-2014 07:53 PM
Replies: 5 (178 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 02-06-2014 10:18 AM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

installing an amp for my audio system into my car, only question i have is...the power cable i have to run from the battery to the amp? where do u guys like to run it through the firewall? My car's a 5 speed and i dont see any unused holes? Do u guys share gromits with the shift cables or something? i dont really wanna drill a hole through the firewall. Suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything guys?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could share with any one it fits in. When I did mine years ago i made a new hole with its own grommet.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did u make that hole, and where? Drill?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did it I took it in through one of the shidt cable grommets if I remember correctly. All you have to do is use a exacto knife to cut a slit in the grommet big enough to push the wire through. Likewise, you can look for a clear area on the firewall where you can drill through without hitting anything. Pop a hole through and put in a grommet (however you said you don't want to do that if at all possible). So I'd just go the shift cable route or through one of the other electrical line pass throughs if there's room.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep I used a cordless drill and bit. I looked on both sides to make sure nothing was in the way. You could use a hammer and punch first so you know where the hole will be by seeing the dimple from the punch.

Here is a pic of when it was done, the hole for the power wire is behind the amp. The power wire tucks up under the upper carpet piece and the hole us under there as well, so no holes were needed in the carpeting, except mounting the amp, which was just small self tappers through the upper carpeted board only. The rest of the wires to the radio run under that upper carpeting over to the center console and along side it under the carpeting. I used a nut as a spacer on each mounting screw for the amp, to keep a gap between it and the carperted board, this allowed space to run the audio wires behind it and helped cool it. My ground was actually an existing bolt in the center console area. (Under the "glove box"). The little shroud is just carpeted carboard which hides the amp when the seat is back.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-06-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock