coolant pipe drain plug thread size. by AL87
Started on: 02-04-2014 07:31 PM
Replies: 23 (1229 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 11-26-2020 01:38 AM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wondering what the thread size is for the drain plugs.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, wondering if there is a dorman/help assortment or something I could get. I cant afford to wait for shipping of OE reproduction parts.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess, without looking, is that the threads are some size of NPT thread, and that a threaded plug of the right size from the plumbing dept. of your nearest hardware store will work.
NPT threads are commonly used in such applications (threaded plugs used to seal water), such as plugs in engine water jackets (even if the rest of the engine is metric).
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe you got the plug out. I have tried several, and ended up stripping the head out every time.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

I can't believe you got the plug out. I have tried several, and ended up stripping the head out every time.

who says I did, the plug where the allen wrench goes rusted straight through, its toast, time for a torch and easy out.

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More like a drill and a pipe tap. Or a welder.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More like a drill and a pipe tap. Or a welder.

damn' lol, don't jinx me.

VikingRedBaron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

who says I did, the plug where the allen wrench goes rusted straight through, its toast, time for a torch and easy out.

If the plug rusted out, how good is whats left of the pipe?
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

well actually, everything went well, the original plug was almost rusted completely out on the 85 gt I was making a service call to, I used a torch to heat it up, and when I tapped in the correct tip to try and begin ratcheting it out, it just came out after a few full turns. I wasn't expecting this one to just come out like that, and I pulled all 4 plugs from a parts car I had sitting here with no problem at all. I chased the threads with a tap and put in one of the plugs I pulled. and used thread sealant...

I guess I'm lucky to be in florida working on fieros that haven't seen the salty northern winter roads.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1/8" NPT.

In my experience, I remove mine by inserting the largest hex key that will fit, and I will pry it around in all directions to widen the hole until I can fit the correct 3/16" hex key. Then it comes out without too much trouble. They are a blessing when you are draining coolant for removing the cradle
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

1/8" NPT.

In my experience, I remove mine by inserting the largest hex key that will fit, and I will pry it around in all directions to widen the hole until I can fit the correct 3/16" hex key. Then it comes out without too much trouble. They are a blessing when you are draining coolant for removing the cradle

Arent Fieros supposed to be GM metric vehicles?
I used a 5mm.

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

The coolant tubes are stainless steel and very corrosion resistant. The plugs are not stainless and would corrode much more quickly. Poor coolant servicing will set up a corrosive environment in the cooling system that will attack the plug from the inside.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The coolant tubes are stainless steel and very corrosion resistant. The plugs are not stainless and would corrode much more quickly. Poor coolant servicing will set up a corrosive environment in the cooling system that will attack the plug from the inside.

My friend was trolling me*

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My friend was trolling me*

Who you calling a troll boy?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wanna have some real fun the next time you need to remove the plugs, try some of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCS...AOSwUUdXD34t&vxp=mtr
Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 07-23-2017).]

KoolKiwi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KoolKiwiSend a Private Message to KoolKiwiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

1/8" NPT.

In case it helps anyone... I bought a couple of new drain plugs from the Fiero Store, and they were 3/16" hex key.

So on this basis I used a 3/16" hex key to try and remove the old plugs. This resulted in me rounding off the hex key and stripping / damaging the existing plugs, which still wouldn't budge. As the old plugs were gunked up, it was difficult to see, but the 3/16" hex key seemed to be a tight fit.

After thinking this through, I thought that the only way it would have stripped the hex key is of it wasn't the correct size / tool. After really close inspection, I discovered that it was actually Torx. So even though the plug was now stripped / damaged, I tried a T30 Torx and it fitted tightly and I was then able to unscrew the plug.

So it appears that although the replacement plugs from the Fiero Store are 3/16" hex key, the original plugs in my 85' Fiero GT 2.8 were actually Torx.

Hopefully this helps someone who is struggling to get their original plugs out with a hex key.
Quad4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad4Send a Private Message to Quad4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, wondering if there is a dorman/help assortment or something I could get. I cant afford to wait for shipping of OE reproduction parts.

I got a couple of these from the plumbing section of my local hardware store. They fit fine. They were only $1.50 or so at the store.

https://www.amazon.com/ANDE...ersink/dp/B00826MN6S

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Memo for the day; If you can, when you go to the JY to get some parts, snag the plugs if you can get them out...I have a double set of spares...I should probably have another...And mine are 3/16" allen- 1985 SE V-6...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2017 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would not a standard brass 1/8 NPT pipe plug work? Any Loews or Home Depot Should have them. Being that it has a sq or hex end, they should be a breeze to remove.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've taken a bunch of them out and never stripped one yet. Are you using a 3/16" hex key?

[This message has been edited by FieroG97J (edited 07-10-2017).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2017 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroG97J:

I've taken a bunch of them out and never stripped one yet. Are you using a 5/16" hex key?

I've only done 2 cars but no prob. If they look bad I'd say soak with PB blaster 1st.
PFF
System Bot
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2020 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fortunately, I was able to remove my plugs easily with a 3/16" hex key. I'll be replacing the plugs with something a little different. I'm nixing the internal hex plug altogether. I'll be using either an external hex head plug or an external square drive plug. Either way the plug will be 316 stainless steel. If you need fasteners (nuts and bolts, etc) you should give McMaster-Carr a looksee. Click here to see a selection of plugs. Maybe you're lucky enough to have a MC location near you. I do. If not, they ship promptly via UPS. I've replaced several other nuts and bolts on my car sourced from McMaster-Carr. One downside: sometimes you'll have to buy in a quantity more than you need.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

[This message has been edited by oneinch (edited 11-25-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2020 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Install w/ Non-Dry Teflon pipe dope not tape. This Dope will act as anti-seize later. Find it easy in Plumbing Section in many local stores.

Arent Fieros supposed to be GM metric vehicles?
I used a 5mm.
Not Everything is Metric in many old cars including Fiero.
Pipe drains, sender/sensor holes and some steering column parts are few that are SAE and/or NPT.

For Allen heads... Often Hex heads too...
Use the wrench that fits very tight regardless Metric or SAE. Rust in or on the heads/nuts can make odd size tool to fit better.

Hex bolts/nuts is best to use 6 point sockets not 12 points that most set have.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2020 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I chased the threads with a tap and put in one of the plugs I pulled. and used thread sealant...

I replaced mine with brass NPT plugs with anti-seize. Will never have problems again.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock