Anyone have an outdoor lift? by Lou and Blue
Started on: 02-03-2014 10:29 AM
Replies: 7 (297 views)
Last post by: KurtAKX on 02-04-2014 04:16 PM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in this and I want to go make an offer, but I have no garage and I don't know how long this'll stand up to the elements.

http://longisland.craigslis.../pts/4283272243.html

Anyone have experience with lifts outdoors?

Thanks
Louis

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1) exposing a steel structure to elements which it was never intended to endure is probably not a great idea, I also doubt the electrics are weatherproofed.
2) I found an account of Autolifters M6 collapsing in my first google search result. Have you read this?
http://forums.corvetteforum...warnings-images.html
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an old 240v one that I installed in a storage unit. Had to buy a generator to run it. I didn't have it bolted to the concrete floor and I scared the crap out of myself when it started to lean with a car on it. For now I have it secured to the wall, but if I ever get my own place it will be secured with concrete to the ground. I bought it for $250 about four years ago and it looks like it was kept outside with no damage. It has lots of thick orange paint on it though. I will protect the electric winch type part of it from the elements if I install it outdoors.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when I went to new york city a few years back i saw a car park that was using car lifts to maximise their parking potential.

if you have the space outside i (in my opinion) would dig and construct a foundation base for the lift to bolt to and make sure you insulate the electrics.

jon
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about that particular lift, but there are a number of auto recyclers locally that have 4-post lifts installed outside to facilitate dismantling cars. Some are shielded overhead frolm direct exposure, but others aren't. None of these people do indoor dismantling, so I think it's safe to say at least some lifts will survive outside. I'd contact the manufacturer to be sure.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outside is not the same as completely un-sheltered.

Greg Smith Equipment recommends that you regularly coat the lift cables and pulleys (among other parts) with marine grease if it's outdoors.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I NEVER buy from sellers who don't put pictures of the actual thing they are selling in their ads. If they are too lazy to take a picture, they're too lazy (or dishonest) to do anything else.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about a Maxjax lift? You'd be able to use it outdoors, and then bring in the sensitive components when finished so they didn't have to sit in the weather.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock