more problems ! by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 02-03-2014 12:58 AM
Replies: 6 (255 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 02-05-2014 01:40 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got the suspension and the body fixed. NOW I went to pull the car out (1985 2.5 Automatic) and the cable came off the trans shift arm, at The "Same Time", when I tried to shut it off, The key switch "Jammed" in the" Run position" ! I put the cable back onto the Trans shift Arm so I could put it in Park, but the key is STUCK at "ON" and OFF " ! ( almost won't Move At All ) won't go to lock, so I can't get the key Out, and it won't go to START either", so I can't move it ! ( Almost won't move AT ALL) No matter how I tilt the column , or what gear I shift it to, it will not go to start or lock. Is there a cable from the shifter to the steering column to Lock the ign, or am I destined to be tearing into the column Now ?? :-( Thanks for the Help
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove the shifter surround.
The cable coming off of the shifter going forward is the switch lock.
Remove the cable from the shift arm.
The other end goes to the ignition switch on top of the column, under the dash.
The column must be dropped down to access the cable end to remove the cable end.
There are four 15mm fasteners holding the column to the support.
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had that issue in a 89 cavalier what i ened up doing was.took the cable off the bracket had my brother pull in and out on the cable like he was moving from P-R-P .... and I wiggled the ignition switch back n forth and it finally clicked and released the key. Can probably give that a try before dropping the entire column
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone "Local" GOT a Column ? (tilt preferred) Or know where I can get one ? Got a feeling..... Thanks
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cable locks the ignition switch, which immobilizes the tumbler (key) via the tumbler rod.
You should not have to replace the column, and lowering it takes all of ten minutes.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea, going to try that first, but "I fear" a stripped nylon gear. we'll see. but wouldn't it have locked the key switch in "LOCK", not "ON" ?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Lucked out ,Turned out to be only the Key Switch itself ! in the past, it's always been the Gear. Thanks

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock