Small issues with LAZARUS, the resurrected GT by notaguru
Started on: 02-02-2014 05:10 PM
Replies: 4 (127 views)
Last post by: notaguru on 02-02-2014 08:17 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I call this 40,000 mile '88GT "Lazarus" because it was dead for many years, just parked in the sun and rotting away, collecting rat nests and spider webs. It's a tribute to GM engineering and THIS GROUP that the car is now running, has passed smog (!!!), and its many problems have reduced to such minor things as these:

1. Under the driver-side door handle there is a dangling wire. I see a clip/detent in which it's supposed to go, but it won't stay there. I can't figure out what that loose wire is supposed to do, but since it appears to do no work I'd like to snip and remove it. ??

2. The door to the "glove compartment" is warped, as is the plastic on either side of the shifter console. I'd like to heat the parts and press them into a form to restore the original shapes. How do I remove the entire assembly?

3. The emergency brake is useless, and though I read some threads on the subject it's still unclear to me how to reach the adjuster.

4. The fuel gauge pegs right (open circuit) when full, and sits at half when the tank approaches empty. That's probably the sender as opposed to the gauge or wiring, but pulling the tank is a PITA. Until I'm confident of the solution, I'll just drive on the odometer - but I hate that. Is there a better way?

THANKS!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

I call this 40,000 mile '88GT "Lazarus" because it was dead for many years, just parked in the sun and rotting away, collecting rat nests and spider webs. It's a tribute to GM engineering and THIS GROUP that the car is now running, has passed smog (!!!), and its many problems have reduced to such minor things as these:

1. Under the driver-side door handle there is a dangling wire. I see a clip/detent in which it's supposed to go, but it won't stay there. I can't figure out what that loose wire is supposed to do, but since it appears to do no work I'd like to snip and remove it. ?? - Door Ajar light

2. The door to the "glove compartment" is warped, as is the plastic on either side of the shifter console. I'd like to heat the parts and press them into a form to restore the original shapes. How do I remove the entire assembly? Open ash tray doors - remove ash trays - there are 4 7mm screws that hold the center /shifter cover down. Once they are removed and the shifter cover is out of the way, there are 2 screws for the rear console - the other 2 are in the back of the "glove box"

3. The emergency brake is useless, and though I read some threads on the subject it's still unclear to me how to reach the adjuster. The adjuster is under the car - runs through the cradle frame rail

4. The fuel gauge pegs right (open circuit) when full, and sits at half when the tank approaches empty. That's probably the sender as opposed to the gauge or wiring, but pulling the tank is a PITA. Until I'm confident of the solution, I'll just drive on the odometer - but I hate that. Is there a better way? Only way to fix it is to pull the tank / sending unit and clean / repair it.

THANKS!

My 2 cents in BOLD.
RobertGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
40,000 miles, many problems, and that's a testament to it's engineering? My bike has 40,000 miles, makes 200hp/l at 14,2000rpm, and has had zero problems. BMW > GM.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RobertGT:

40,000 miles, many problems, and that's a testament to it's engineering? My bike has 40,000 miles, makes 200hp/l at 14,2000rpm, and has had zero problems. BMW > GM.

Park your bike in the sun with zero preparation, and after twelve years we'll see how it runs...
And there's another unfair comparison: dollars per pound.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

notaguru

232 posts
Member since Dec 2013
[QUOTE]Originally posted by katatak:

1. Under the driver-side door handle there is a dangling wire. I see a clip/detent in which it's supposed to go, but it won't stay there. I can't figure out what that loose wire is supposed to do, but since it appears to do no work I'd like to snip and remove it. ?? - Door Ajar light ./QUOTE]

Sorry - I meant the springy wire that's directly under/inside the exterior door handle itself.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock