88 2.5 TBI rebuild questions by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 02-02-2014 01:42 PM
Replies: 6 (325 views)
Last post by: FieroTony on 02-03-2014 04:20 PM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had no luck in getting our new 88 2M4 to run since we got it back in September. Today I pulled the TB off to rebuild it. (also pulled the EGR) Anything I should do or better yet, NOT do? I've got a can of TBI cleaner and before I start blasting it I figure it would be good to ask those that have done it before first. (And I know to pull the IAC off and keep it away before I start spraying. That I'm going to clean with electrical parts cleaner if needed) Thanks in advance.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the 2.5 throttle bodies can be rebuilt with the gasket in the wrong direction blocking vacuum passages.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, 700 TBI and if needed Idle Stop

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks dawgz and ogre, I've read the cave many times over, much help. just wondering if there's an issue with the cleaner getting on things it shouldn't, or "watch out when you open this" type things. The TB seems relatively clean, but the gaskets and vacuum lines are hard and crusty which is why I'm rebuilding it.
How about the supply and return lines, is there a way to clean/check those while unhooked?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be dirt on injector screens but nothing else. 700 are very easy vs old 300 series.

DON"T pull throttle disk unless really needs major work. Screws and shaft will hate you because GM stake them so never goes down to engine if they get loose.

Don't use carb cleaner at all.

Don't use injector cleaner on electric parts, Including the injector.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They're both easy to rebuild, easier than Holley, Edelbrock, or Quadrajet carburetors.
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

One of the 2.5 throttle bodies can be rebuilt with the gasket in the wrong direction blocking vacuum passages.

Yeah, done that ONCE!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock