Rear Decklid Weather Strip question by nightscar
Started on: 02-02-2014 04:00 AM
Replies: 8 (234 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 02-03-2014 12:04 PM
nightscar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,
I just recently picked up a 1985 Fiero
and noticed that the back deck-lid weatherstrip is gone.
I did some searching and found this old topic:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050410-2-049534.html

Now I know the guy who made these does not sell them anymore, so after looking on the net for a while the only thing I could find was this site
http://www.zorotools.com/g/...Connectors/00057661/

Only issue is I really don't need 50 foot of this stuff
is there any other alternative to fixing this issue?
I have a friend that works in the heating business I have to ask him and see if he can get a hold of some of this for me..

My only other question is, how wide should I get? on the site that I posted it ranges from 6 1/2 in to 9 in..
or will both widths work equally fine?
Thank you guys for any help

P.S. I used to own a 1984 Fiero way back in high school, 1998 or so but had to give it up for lack of space :/
so its good to have a Fiero again
Will have some other questions as well... down the line
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tomsablon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do hvac for a living. "canvass duct connector" is standard stuff for any kind of equipment to duct connections. Any heating and a/c company or duct fabrication shop will have this stuff. I bet the would give you a piece or let you have it real cheap if you show up with your car.
unless they are a commercial only shop they will for sure have the 6 3/4" stuff. if they do commercial and residential they'll have both the narrow and wide.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Mike Freed variety on my 88 GT.
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is what we use . http://www.durodyne.com/Con...rJuniorConnector.php . look at the "THERMFAB' it has all the top qualities, high / low temp , chem. resistance, sunlight and whatnot. a " do it all " so we don't have 5 different kinds to be stocked. I smell $$ opportunity __ Rodney dickman breakdown and buy a roll from your local sheet metal distributor and offer it on your page man.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If Im remembering right, that factory strip was supposed to be removed per a recall, so that would explain why yours is gone.

You all do know that ALL of the engine bay gets soaked driving in the rain anyway right ? The water comes in with the air from under the car so trying to seal the top is pretty much pointless. Now, if you always park your car when it rains, it would stay dryer with the strip. None of mine had the seal.
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it also keeps the rear window for getting blazing hot. great in the winter. not so in the summer. removing it does leave a good bit more free air ventilation_if_ you need it. 3.8 sc . el hottol (that's Spanish for hot)
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 87 GT new and had several years with the weatherstrip in place. When it was removed because of the recall I couldn't believe how much engine noise (2.8) increased. The glass also got hot. When I put the sbc roller cam motor in I decided to put the strip back on. I got one from a member on the forum. Really reduced the noise. The absence or presents of them doesn't have much to do with cooling or keeping the water out. Keeps the crap off the back of the motor when it's parked, if you clean out the debris before opening the deck lid. Mine lives in the shop, warm and dry.
Perhaps someone has one to sell in the mall?

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

nightscar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you guys for the reply's.
I only have the stock v6 in my Fiero.
I have a friend checking on it for me.. I live in a small town in central NY so I dunno how readily available this stuff might be to find lol
I do have another question though.. if I do find this stuff or have to fabricate it myself.. what would be a good material to use? and should there be a high temp to it?
min/max? like will 200F be to low? should I need 500F like that durodyne stuff that was posted?
and does the ends need to be steal? or can they be aluminum?
I fig I need about 3-5ft long.
Thanks guys
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since my seals were all long gone, maybe thats the reason I never needed to defrost or defog the rear window I used the grid for a radio antenna instead.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock