Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Alternator not charging until I blip the throttle just a touch

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Alternator not charging until I blip the throttle just a touch by MacGyversMullet
Started on: 02-01-2014 04:15 PM
Replies: 18 (1396 views)
Last post by: MacGyversMullet on 02-03-2014 07:41 PM
MacGyversMullet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 GT. Basically, I start up the car without a fuss on a battery that reads 11.90v (using a multimeter) before the startup. After it starts, the battery still reads 11.90v (the console volt gauge also reads low and the warning light is on). All I have to do is give the throttle a small blip and the alternator starts charging at 14.50v. Never any major revving of the engine is needed, just a tiny blip.

This happens every time and there are no problems while driving it. There are no loud belt squeals or slips and the belt is adjusted correctly. Has this happened to anyone? Just a sign of an alternator slowly moving on to its next life?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you turn on the headlights does it get worse? If so slipping belt.
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

If you turn on the headlights does it get worse? If so slipping belt.

I just tested this. The volts do dip a fair amount when I turn on the headlights, but not too much as to where the car dies. I couldn't tell by how much, since the mulitmeter leads can't stay on the battery leads by themselves and another person is needed. With the headlights on, it reads at 11.65v. Throttle blip...back to normal at 14.5v. A slipping belt does make sense, even if it doesn't make any obvious noises. I should just change the belt anyhow...
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have it correct. The diodes in the alternator are going. Assuming no belt slip, but, get the battery checked on an ammeter You could have a bad battery cell too.

Arn
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MacGyversMullet:

All I have to do is give the throttle a small blip and the alternator starts charging at 14.50v.

I've got an '86 GT that does exactly the same thing. As long as a blip of the throttle continues to correct the issue, I'm not pulling that alternator out of there.

I have some fuzzy recollection of this problem having to do with something or another needing to be "excited". Hopefully that's the correct term. Someone here will know what the heck I'm talking about.
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '86 SE V6 did the same thing - back in 1988 when it was two years old. The throttle blip fix, at least in my case, works for a long, long time.
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doc John:

My '86 SE V6 did the same thing - back in 1988 when it was two years old. The throttle blip fix, at least in my case, works for a long, long time.

What was the fix, if I don't mind asking? I searched, but to no avail.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you get a full 12 volts to both small wires to the alt when the key is on. Low voltage will not energize the alt at low rpm. If your dash light does not work that can cause a charging problem too.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I searched, but to no avail.

THIS particular thread is good.
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What was the fix, if I don't mind asking? I searched, but to no avail.

If the voltmeter is low or the volt light is on, I'd just give the throttle a quick blip (maybe 2000 RPM) and voltage would return to where it should be. That worked for me for about 15 years....sometimes "temporary" fixes have a way of becoming "permanent."
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Ahhh, that is a good thread, thanks. I will dig into that more when I have the time and see what comes of it.
PFF
System Bot
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MacGyversMullet

71 posts
Member since Nov 2013

Originally posted by Doc John:

If the voltmeter is low or the volt light is on, I'd just give the throttle a quick blip (maybe 2000 RPM) and voltage would return to where it should be. That worked for me for about 15 years....sometimes "temporary" fixes have a way of becoming "permanent."

Ha, I read your first post as to knowing a "fix" to not having to blip the throttle. Now I see that you have just lived with the problem and blipping the throttle is your "fix"
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MacGyversMullet

71 posts
Member since Nov 2013

Okay, upon further inspection of that thread, it doesn't look like an enjoyable job to find that diode within the harness. It could be on the inside of the car or inside the engine bay....or may not even exist at all.

Would swapping to an 88 alternator (and the harness adapter) just fix the issue, while giving the car a better charging system? Or would the same problem repeat itself? It's not that I don't mind digging around for diodes if I absolutely must, but if I can just swap out for a better alternator, I would go that route.

[This message has been edited by MacGyversMullet (edited 02-01-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would swapping to an 88 alternator (and the harness adapter) just fix the issue, while giving the car a better charging system? Or would the same problem repeat itself? It's not that I don't mind digging around for diodes if I absolutely must, but if I can just swap out for a better alternator, I would go that route.

Most of us find it a helluva lot easier just to blip the throttle once.
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most of us find it a helluva lot easier just to blip the throttle once.

Haha. Yeah, I hear you loud and clear on that. Too bad it's the tiny things that get on my nerves (perfect car to own for that, I know). I'm also just thinking about resale "value" down the road if I ever to pass it along to someone else.
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has that car been converted to a 1 wire alternator? if it has it take a preset rpm to kick it in. Lots of people switch to the 1 wire to unclutter a engine bay.
thx569

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thx569Send a Private Message to thx569Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very probably your alt was 'rebuilt' and someone left out the small resistor that sits across 2 mounting screws at the regulator. That resistor is your low RPM kick-in, that would save you from having to "blip" the throttle to initiate charging.

Pete
(These are some of the things you learn while working at a bench electrical shop)

[This message has been edited by thx569 (edited 02-03-2014).]

MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

Has that car been converted to a 1 wire alternator? if it has it take a preset rpm to kick it in. Lots of people switch to the 1 wire to unclutter a engine bay.

I am not sure, but am I wrong in thinking the SI alternators are 1-wire to begin with? I was under the impression that GM's 70's and 80's SI series alternators were 1-wire, right out of the box.
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MacGyversMullet

71 posts
Member since Nov 2013

Originally posted by thx569:

Very probably your alt was 'rebuilt' and someone left out the small resistor that sits across 2 mounting screws at the regulator. That resistor is your low RPM kick-in, that would save you from having to "blip" the throttle to initiate charging.

Pete
(These are some of the things you learn while working at a bench electrical shop)

That is an interesting point that I wish I knew the answer to!

So, does anyone know if converting to the CS series alternator would bypass this problem?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock