Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Setting idle - blocking/plugging vacuum pipes?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Setting idle - blocking/plugging vacuum pipes? by Drfiero308
Started on: 02-01-2014 01:27 PM
Replies: 4 (145 views)
Last post by: theogre on 02-01-2014 05:44 PM
Drfiero308

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drfiero308Send a Private Message to Drfiero308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone
I was following Ogre's guidance on setting the idle on my v6 GT 308 replica and was wondering which vacuum pipes need to be plugged?
I'm not sure as a newbie to these cars - can anyone help? maybe with a pic?
Thanks
ian

[This message has been edited by Drfiero308 (edited 02-01-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Setting the idle on these engines is nearly always a bad thing. What are you trying to correct?
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If long enough, all hoses should have a small section cut from the rubber end, to assure a tight fit
the EGR system is crap & if you do not need this for inspection,emission inspection,,eliminate it & block off the cross over pipe
hole & the hole under the plenum,
very often the EGR system is defective the EGR tube leaks, the EGR itself is glogged,, the EGR vacuum solenoid is a troublesome POS,very poor design,, of course a new one only cost $150.oo
wealthy men seem to like the EGR system !!
every hose needs to be checked on any old car,, you need to be certain every hose is leak free
what RPM does your car idle at,,when warm
do not forget to check the hose & flter connections that run to the brake booster
the hoses under the plenum aremore trouble free than I ever thought but they do have some leaks
do not forget tube connections at the emission canister over by the airfilter
many hoses have a small split difficult to see check for this
very often a hose is just not tight enough on the pipe it is pushes on and trimming the ends will help
trimming the ends is a long term fix to prevent future problems
give a little more info for more help !!
Drfiero308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drfiero308Send a Private Message to Drfiero308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies.
I don't seem to have an egr fitted(uk spec) and was trying to follow ogre's advice where it states to set basic idle and the iac, you run through a relatively simple process. However the first step states that i need to plug appropriate vacuum lies and hoses. I wondered which ones.
Idle when warm at present is around 1300 but it is not particularly stable and periodically drops and on the odd ocassion, stalls.
Ian
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Setting idle stop is often a bad move.

Likely have vacuum leak. Some leaks can be temp sensitive.

See my Cave, Vac Leaks for some ideas.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock