What can I do now? by 87FieroSport
Started on: 01-31-2014 02:14 PM
Replies: 5 (204 views)
Last post by: 87FieroSport on 01-31-2014 04:06 PM
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So. I decided today was the day to R&R my trunkside head and manifold, as well as my Y-pipe (Just delivered..)
Well before the post came, the sensor on the trunkside head (Near the tach filter. that goes into the head) The leads and connector were burnt and crumbled.

The Y-pipe that was supposedly good has a corroded O2 sensor in there, and the bottom flange has the captive nut ripped right out.
What now? I'm here in my driveway, motor torn down. Any change I can [i]try[i] to make this all work? Or should I just do what I can for today?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The good side.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you need a new one, or a person very good at welding. WHere the nut is missing it looks like rust has corroded long enough to make the metal too thin and weak. Not to mention evidence of the person who removed it hacking into the flange to cut the nut off.

I'd take it to a trusted exhaust shop and have them hack that off and weld on a new flange.

*edit, actually it probably would have been plenty strong enough, and could use a new nut, if the edge wasnt hacked off. That bent down lip that is missing used to give it strength.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-31-2014).]

87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Argh. Looks like my old Y-pipe is staying for now then, Y-pipe and manifold turned into Head, head gasket, dizzy O-ring, Manifold, ect.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust work is the worst for that! Especially if theres rust! Good luck.
You might get a 2nd opinion too in a bit, someone might chime in.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-31-2014).]

87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trunkside manifold bolts are seized. I undertook this last time with the rear head.
My experience?

Prep a new head and manifold, just swap it out and junk the remains. So you're not down for more than a day or two because of flanges broken, bolts broken, ect.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock