Oil Overfill. by jpeeler
Started on: 01-31-2014 12:37 PM
Replies: 11 (275 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 02-01-2014 09:19 PM
jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86gt used a pf-52e and five quarts. Thought that was OK. But after running for five mins and then checking it next day its above the add mark maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Anything to be concerned anout?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is overfilled but a 1/4 to 1/2 a quart over isnt enough to hurt. IMO
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not too concerning, but if you are like me and want it on the line, just remove the filter (engine off of course) and dump the oil in it, place filter back on engine and fire back up and shut off to recheck. Might need to do it more then once.

Kevin
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I I remember, it normally takes 4.5 quarts to refill after a change. It takes a little more if you use the larger oil filter. If I ever overfill a car, I just open the drain and let a little out. Dont take the plug all the way out or youll dump a lot out in a few seconds. Plan on spilling some all over your hand, and the floor if you dont have a big enough pan. That being said, like already mentioned...1/2 qt over shouldnt hurt it, if its too much it will blow it out.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've you've had the car long enough to know if it uses any oil between changes... if it does, you'll be that much farther ahead

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-31-2014).]

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I've you've had the car long enough to know if it uses any oil between changes... if it does, you'll be that much father ahead

Good point.

Kevin
jpeeler

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I've you've had the car long enough to know if it uses any oil between changes... if it does, you'll be that much father ahead

Funny you should say that. It does leak and I got slack and did not check it and drained only 3.5qts. My only real concern was if that was to high to the crank.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

...just remove the filter (engine off of course) and dump the oil in it, place filter back on engine and fire back up and shut off to recheck.

I think it would be a helluva lot easier (and less messy) to just remove the drain plug and dump out a measured quantity.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I think it would be a helluva lot easier (and less messy) to just remove the drain plug and dump out a measured quantity.

No more messy than removing the filter when doing the oil change itself.
If it is easier for you to crawl under the car, remove the drain plug with one hand while trying to hold something to catch and measure it in the other while laying on your back in an awkward position, then it would be to unscrew a filter, dump its contents in a drain pan, then screw it back on, I say go for it.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 01-31-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No more messy than removing the filter when doing the oil change itself.

Yeah, but who the heck wants to make that kind of mess any more often than necessary?

I hate removing the oil filter from a Fiero, be it a duke or a V6. The filter's on that damn angle and oil dumps all over the cradle. I hate it I tell ya!

If it is easier for you to crawl under the car, remove the drain plug with one hand while trying to hold something to catch and measure it in the other while laying on your back in an awkward position, then it would be to unscrew a filter, dump its contents in a drain pan, then screw it back on, I say go for it.

Are you able to unscrew the oil filter, dump its contents in a drain pan, then screw it back on while standing above the car? If so, I say go for it.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my SLs was a pita to get out the drain plug. I ended up taking it and matching it up to a screw in petcock (like on a radiator or air compressor). When I wanted to change the oil, I just slipped a hose over the end and opened it with my fingers. Didnt spill a drop. They do make a remote drain that screws in and you just pull a handle like a hood release. I had one like that on my 454 boat because you couldnt get a wrench onto the drain .

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-01-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mechanics have told me over filled is worst than a little under. I have removed oil before by just loosening the drain plug I didnt have to take it all the way out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock