Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How can you tell the difference between a bad intake manifold gasket or headgasket

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How can you tell the difference between a bad intake manifold gasket or headgasket by pontiackid86
Started on: 01-30-2014 09:55 PM
Replies: 7 (267 views)
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 01-31-2014 02:05 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I'm planning on getting back to work on the Mera soon, I have one of either of the 2 worst case a cracked head or block (hope not) The cars symptoms are
1. Its using coolant and a lot of it,
2. It pours white smoke out of the exhaust and it has a sweet smell to it,
3. The heater will only work under idle conditions.

The car runs and drives great aside from a high idle So thats why I think its not a cracked block or head. It has not overheated on me at all yet. Its a stock 2.8
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have a bad headgasket. Which is why your exhaust smoke is white and smells like burning coolant, along with the fact you are using coolant.

If you had a cracked block you would have the coolant in the motor oil.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 01-30-2014).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Sounds like you have a bad headgasket. Which is why your exhaust smoke is white and smells like burning coolant, along with the fact you are using coolant.

If you had a cracked block you would have the coolant in the motor oil.

Thats what i was thinking/ afraid of.... How hard are they do to, I'm thinking about doing it myself
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Thats what i was thinking/ afraid of.... How hard are they do to, I'm thinking about doing it myself

Head gaskets are time consuming and you will need to replace all the other gaskets as well. I would replace them all since you will have most of the motor apart anyways. A service manual will be handy to have around as you will need the sequence to torque the heads as well as the torque specs. This is also an opportunity to do an engine swap.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Head gaskets are time consuming and you will need to replace all the other gaskets as well. I would replace them all since you will have most of the motor apart anyways. A service manual will be handy to have around as you will need the sequence to torque the heads as well as the torque specs. This is also an opportunity to do an engine swap.

Ehh i dont have the equipment to do a swap I just want to get this car running for the summer.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ran a compression test on the car and wouldent you know it the 1st cylinder i hooked it up to is the problem. I did the back 3 cylinders (will be doing the front's this weekend. ) From the distributor over this is what i came up with.

1. 100 PSI
2. 150 PSI
3. 145 PSI.

Now I know all the cylinders need to be within at least 15 PSI of each other My question is What would most likely cause a 50PSI drop? Could i be looking at a cracked block or a bad head?
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not 15psi between them,they need to be within 10% of each other (which would be 15psi at 150psi so meh lol)
Sucks man,but honestly I never mind repairs. They show a weakness and are an oppurtunity for improvement!
At least that's what I tell myself after I throw the wrench.

Use a leakdown tester to determine where your compression is going.

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 01-31-2014).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

Not 15psi between them,they need to be within 10% of each other (which would be 15psi at 150psi so meh lol)
Sucks man,but honestly I never mind repairs. They show a weakness and are an oppurtunity for improvement!
At least that's what I tell myself after I throw the wrench.

Use a leakdown tester to determine where your compression is going.

I will be once i get my compresser up and running.

Also Just to note. the oil pressure in the car is holding at around 50-60 PSI at about 2500-3000 RPM's. (car has a really bad high idle issue right now) So i dont think it could be a cracked block or head

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock