2.8 V6 Differences? by Stickerguy
Started on: 01-30-2014 02:02 PM
Replies: 10 (479 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 02-07-2014 03:34 PM
Stickerguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StickerguySend a Private Message to StickerguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while back, I thought I had read something about 2.8 V6 had differences depending on what year it is. I couldn't find that thread again, maybe i was dreaming.
My daily driver is a '88 Formula Automatic, I have an '86 SE 4-Spd parts car, both are VIN code 9.
I would like to rebuild the '86 2.8, and when finished drop it into my '88, makes less down time.
Besides the obvious flywheel change... is there anything I need to know about the engines?
Thanks !

------------------
'88 Formula, V6, Auto. (daily driver)
'86 SE V6, 4-Speed (rusty parts car)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86-88 should be just about identical... might need to re-use some brackets/mounts from the 88 as the Bolton layout changed alittle, other hten that you should be good.

why not find a 3.4l bottom end tho? free ~20-25hp boost for ya since your rebuilding it anyway.
3400 bottom end would work too, better oiling, wont need to re-drill anything, all the timing cover stuff bolts right on, do some reading on it.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In addition to the different crankshaft (which requires a different flywheel), the oil pan and timing cover are also different. But that shouldn't matter, as far as installing the engine is concerned. Also, the exhaust Y-pipe and downpipe are different. To make life easier on yourself, you'll want to keep the '88 exhaust parts. You'll also want to keep the alternator from the '88.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Externally all the Fiero V6's were about the same. Internally, they were different. There was some improvement in oiling in the 86 and 87, over the 85. The 88 used an internally balanced crankshaft, so the flex plate or flywheel should only be used on an 88 engine, or one with an internally balanced crankshaft. Those will usually have a reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. It may or may not be notched for later year crankshafts sensor applications. Generally the 3.1 and 88/89 2.8's were internally balanced, as was the later RWD 3.4.

Edit to apologize if I've repeated anything. I got interrupted mid way by an international call.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-30-2014).]

Harold James Kie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some time ago I read that not all 2.8 GM engines are the same but as long as you stay with a Fiero block you should be ok. I read that the 2.8 in some other applications had the mounts cast in the block differently, mostly on front engine vehicles such as the S-10 and maybe the Blazer. Just FYI
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The OP clearly said the replacement engine is from a Fiero.
Harold James Kie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I clearly stated that this was just FOR YOUR INFORMATION! I did not imply any thing else.
Stickerguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StickerguySend a Private Message to StickerguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help.... probably just find a 3.4

------------------
'88 Formula, V6, Auto. (daily driver)
'86 SE V6, 4-Speed (rusty parts car)

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stickerguy:

Thanks for the help.... probably just find a 3.4

The one you want is from the 93-95 Camaro or Firebird.
Don't get one from a FWD vehicle. The heads and pistons (among other things) are different. Your Fiero manifolds will not fit.

Edit - That's assuming you want to keep it looking stock, and want a mostly bolt-in swap.
If that's not an issue, you can do a 3400 or 3500 (aluminum head) engine, but it will require a different ECM, a custom harness, and a little bit of clever mix-matching of parts, or a bit of fabrication.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-06-2014).]

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

86-88 should be just about identical... might need to re-use some brackets/mounts from the 88 as the Bolton layout changed alittle, other hten that you should be good.

why not find a 3.4l bottom end tho? free ~20-25hp boost for ya since your rebuilding it anyway.
3400 bottom end would work too, better oiling, wont need to re-drill anything, all the timing cover stuff bolts right on, do some reading on it.

You also need to change the pistons to use a iron-head 3400, but as you stated, if its being rebuilt that's really a non-issue.

If you can get a 3400 cheap that's probably the way to go.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3400's are a dime-a-dozen, F-body 3.4's are rare in the salvage yards these days...
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock