86GT alternator problem by Chris_86GT
Started on: 01-28-2014 06:53 AM
Replies: 7 (177 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-01-2014 06:37 PM
Chris_86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having a problem every time I start the car (86GT_V6), it doesn’t charge the battery. I have to rev it over 2500 rpm to make it start charging. Once it’s over 2500 it works fine when rpm drops to idle. What part of the alternator is faulty, I know it’s not the belt since it’s pretty new. All contacts on alternator are clean. Maybe needs inside cleaning, or its time for a rebuild? I am low in cash so a new 88 Alt upgrade is not in my plans. If you know what part needs to be replaced please post a link where I can find it, thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ponzerelli

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonzerelliSend a Private Message to PonzerelliEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I'm having the same problem. I have even replaced the alternator. No idea whats causing it. Ive replaced coil, upgraded ecm, added rodney dickman pulley. I've also been fighting a idle issue that i have yet to pin point.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponzerelli:

Hey I'm having the same problem. I have even replaced the alternator. No idea whats causing it. Ive replaced coil, upgraded ecm, added rodney dickman pulley. I've also been fighting a idle issue that i have yet to pin point.

The alternator was used or new? The old model or the 88 Alt?

For the idle issue for start I would check for vacuum leak to the gasket of the top plenum and to the plastic pipes that run underneath.

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 01-28-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero alternator senses when to charge through the light bulb circuit on the inst panel. If your VOLTS light is burned out the alternator will not charge. It sounds like your bulb still works, but perhaps it is nearly gone, or the socket contacts are bad.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The Fiero alternator senses when to charge through the light bulb circuit on the inst panel. If your VOLTS light is burned out the alternator will not charge. It sounds like your bulb still works, but perhaps it is nearly gone, or the socket contacts are bad.

I have a TRANS AM 93-96 gauge cluster; I will check the socket contacts since the TA don’t have a light bulb. Thanks!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many cars have a resistor circuit instead of a light bulb. I don't know what your panel had, perhaps the light bulb is still working somewhere under there....
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked the connection (C3 connector number 6) and its ok, also at my Trans Am cluster it goes to a lamp. The lamp is on and it goes off only when I rev it over 2500 rpm. Any clue what else to check?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is a common issue. Look HERE for the solution.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock