F40 6-Speed Shift Cable Adjustment by animal
Started on: 01-27-2014 01:15 PM
Replies: 3 (895 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 01-27-2014 07:24 PM
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a new F40 transaxle in my GT. I've put about 1000 miles on it so far and it works fine. I like the feel of the shifter but I can't quite get the cables adjusted so it's easy to get it into first gear. Every now and then it drops in without a battle, but usually it's not easy - a pain in the a$$ at stop lights! Anyone have any experience adjusting the F40 cables?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may need to make some adjustments at the tranny end where the select cable attaches, shorten the length of the select arm on the tranny end to get more movement. I have also lengthened the lever for the select cable at the shifter end to get more movement but make sure if you do this that the cable has the extra movement and not maxed out already.
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the response. It confirms I'm on the right track. I've been afraid of maxing out the cable adjustment at the tranny and at the shifter. Not sure what to do if there isn't enough total room to adjust.

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

You may need to make some adjustments at the tranny end where the select cable attaches, shorten the length of the select arm on the tranny end to get more movement. I have also lengthened the lever for the select cable at the shifter end to get more movement but make sure if you do this that the cable has the extra movement and not maxed out already.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which cable do you think is the issue? The shift cable would be an issue for R, 1, 3, & 5 and the select cable should only come into play for the R gate and 5th/6th gate. 1st gear is pretty much in the center of the select cable travel.

It might just be your reverse lockout lever isn't stiff enough and you are accidentally going over too far, or it could be that it is adjusted over partially blocking the 1/2 shift gate. Here is a picture of the F40 shifter - it is gated internally and the single gate in the picture is R and 1st is right next to it. That curve on the end between the two is pretty easy for the rod to get hung up on slightly.

I adjust the reverse lockout to be rather stiff and right on the edge of the 1/2 gate (I set it with the shifter in 1st or 2nd gear). I ground the lockout tab at a sharper angle and put a couple of spacers to lower it relative to the detent roller to make it a more positive lockout.

I also make it a habit of selecting 2nd gear before sliding the shifter into 1st. If you look at the internal gate above, when coming from the 3/4 gate or 5/6 gate the entrance into 2nd has a sharper angle when coming from the center, so it more naturally slides into gear.

Depending on the supplier for the cables, they may or may not be adjustable.

If you read up on the Saab forums about the F40, issues with 1st gear engagement are quite common. Mine takes a little effort to downshift into 1st while rolling, so I normally only use it when I come to a complete stop. A V8 doesn't have any issues pulling away in 2nd if the car is already rolling.

------------------
fieroguruperformance.com

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-27-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock