Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Tried three different MAP sensors, but 2.5 engine still bogs badly when accelerated (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tried three different MAP sensors, but 2.5 engine still bogs badly when accelerated by Patrick
Started on: 01-26-2014 11:33 PM
Replies: 46 (2391 views)
Last post by: Miller5862 on 08-05-2020 09:13 PM
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

I had to put this project on the back-burner as I had an '88 Formula that I wanted to tweak for autocross this year. That Fiero is basically done for now (performs great at autocross), so I returned to the Mighty Duke today.

To bring us up to speed from when this was put on hold...

I dropped the tank today. What I found was very interesting. Keep in mind this was a car that I bought non-running and which ended up sitting for eight years before I swapped in a 5-spd and did a hundred other things... but I had never dropped the tank. I was rather curious what I was going to find.

Here's the short chunk of flexible hose that I suspected was going to be rotted. It isn't.

Did you find those keys in the tank?
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I would bite the bullet and go for the SAE 30R10 submersible fuel line...

Oh, I fully intend to. I've been researching purchasing options, as reported Here.

Originally posted by steve308:

Did you find those keys in the tank?

No, I found them in my pocket. I just included those keys in the shot to give some perspective to the size of the hose.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I have a 4" length of fuel hose here that came with a relatively expensive high performance aftermarket fuel pump for my Subaru Impreza WRX STi, but it has no identification markings on it whatsoever... so I haven't used it, and don't expect ever to.

Out of curiosity, I cut this short length of hose in half and dropped one piece of it into a jerrrycan of gasoline. After letting it soak for a couple of weeks, I removed this piece of hose from the jerrycan and inspected it for any signs of swelling.

Here's a picture of it compared to the non-soaked piece of hose. The swelling is very slight (hey, it's only been two weeks!), but the outside of the hose definitely feels different. Difficult to explain, but the outer layer feels thinner, more fragile. I fully expect this hose would fail if used as submersible fuel line... even though it was supplied with a new in-tank submerged fuel pump.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-01-2020).]

ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2020 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased a piece of submersible fuel line a while back. I haven’t had any fuel pressure issues in my ‘84 but am wondering if I should be proactive and replace it at the end of the driving season...

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2020 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also what works to help quantify the chemical attack is the measure the weight of the sample before/after the dunk in a solvent.

A weight gain could indicate:
the sample absorbed some solvent

A weight loss could indicate:
the sample lost weight because some of it dissolved into the solvent

No change:
doesn't mean much!

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 08-02-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2020 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ag9123:

I purchased a piece of submersible fuel line a while back. I haven’t had any fuel pressure issues in my ‘84 but am wondering if I should be proactive and replace it at the end of the driving season...

Do you know what's on there now? Is there a reason why you're suspicious of its integrity?

Miller5862

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You think there's that much chance that it's the fuel filter, eh? I'm feeling a bit better about this now.

my 6.0 silverado starts chugging at about 55 but never before no matter how much gas i give it because those smaller gears have a lot more torque but while going at 55 under 2k rpm theres little torque and a lot of load. no idea what it will end up being i went to replace fuel filter and it was all so rusted i broke the ling and gas started leaking. now the truck is at the road for 5 grand lol.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock