88 v6 timing by pdemondo
Started on: 01-26-2014 07:51 PM
Replies: 7 (543 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 01-27-2014 03:48 PM
pdemondo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a V6 Formula I just purchased The car did not have much power, stumbled a little. I changed the plugs, wires, rotor and cap. I set the timing
to 10 BTDC. It ran OK for a few days but lost power and started backfiring and won't idle.

I checked the timing and it was very advanced and off the scale. I cannot pull the timing back to get it to the marks. I turned the distributor all the way till
it reached the mechanical limits.

The distributor bolt was very tight, so it does not seem likely that the distributor slipped.

Does this sounld like a loose or jumped timing chain?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you might not have disabled the ECM's timing advance. 10BTDC is the base timing, without the ECM adding to it. You have to jumper a couple pins on the diagnostic connector before you can check the base timing. (explained in detail in the video posted above).
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Automatic or 5-speed? Auto are supposed to be timed in gear, not in neutral. Gotta find a sidewalk or something to pull your car up against so it won't run away.

Jonathan
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Automatic or 5-speed? Auto are supposed to be timed in gear, not in neutral. Gotta find a sidewalk or something to pull your car up against so it won't run away.

Jonathan

What? Can you support that claim by anything legitimate from GM, such as an officail shop manual (Helm)? As an extension, why would an auto have the timing set under load? Why not a manual equipped car? It's the same engine in both.
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is a 5-speed. I put the paper clip in and got the flashing check engine light to confirm it was in base timing mode.
I need to go back and rotate the engine to make sure I actually tried to set timing to the actual "0" mark. I think it was the
wide mark but that is a good thing to check.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

What? Can you support that claim by anything legitimate from GM, such as an officail shop manual (Helm)?

The factory service manual only says to refer to the specs on the emissions sticker.

As per the '88 V6 emissions sticker, the correct timing is 10 degrees before TDC in "D" for cars with an automatic trans, and in "N" for a stick. However, I doubt many people really do it in Drive. I don't.

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

css9450

5423 posts
Member since Nov 2002

Originally posted by pdemondo:

I think it was the wide mark but that is a good thing to check.

Yeah, make sure its the right mark. The thin marks are 120 degrees on either side of the wide mark.

Also be aware a few people have had cars where the outer ring on the harmonic balancer has slipped. Its just pressed onto the hub with a sleeve of hard rubber than can deteriorate over time and make the ring slip.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock