Timing Chain Replacement Interval by fiero5150
Started on: 01-25-2014 11:34 AM
Replies: 9 (827 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 01-26-2014 08:16 PM
fiero5150

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a recommended interval, based on mileage or time, where the timing chain should be replaced on a stock '88 GT? Car is running fine, but I want to make sure I'm keeping up with any recommended scheduled maintenance. I looked in the "search" topics and couldn't find any reference.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not seen a recommendation like that. It seems that the timing chains hold up pretty well.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a fiero with 185,000 miles and the chain had just snapped. Might be a good idea to replace it before 185,000 miles

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Sigler85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 gt snapped its chain around 125k. I thought rule of thumb was 80k for chains and 60 for timing belts. May be wrong.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 GT had the orig. chain up until approx. 215k. Only reason that I replaced it was because I had to re-seal the timing cover. There was play in the chain, but not too bad.

Every 2.8 that we've owned...both FWD, RWD, carbureted, and EFI has lasted well over 200k without "mechanical" engine troubles. Of course, everything else associated with the engines, especially gaskets, required repair
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know, there is no specific interval for timing chain replacement. Since it's not an interference engine, it's not a big issue. Just replace it when it gets loose, and you're good to go.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as I remember, the recommended interval was between 50 and 75 thousand miles, not that's not to say they go much further, but the longer you let it go, the more likely you are to have one snap. most don't get replaced until they snap because people are too lazy to pull the waterpump and front cover to get at it.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

as I remember, the recommended interval was between 50 and 75 thousand miles, not that's not to say they go much further, but the longer you let it go, the more likely you are to have one snap. most don't get replaced until they snap because people are too lazy to pull the waterpump and front cover to get at it.

Maybe it's not laziness - maybe they just don't want to replace things unnecessarily. The replacement chain(s) may fail before the original would have if left in place. Original parts are frequently better than aftermarket parts.

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Maybe it's not laziness - maybe they just don't want to replace things unnecessarily. The replacement chain(s) may fail before the original would have if left in place. Original parts are frequently better than aftermarket parts.

there's a big difference between failure point and useful life. as the chains age, they stretch, as they stretch, the lose accuracy, which effects both valve timing, and ignition timing.
prime example, your spark plugs still produce spark, the engine still runs, why replace them? you replace them not because they have failed, but because they are no longer performing how they originally were.

while you aren't wrong about replacement parts possibly failing before OE parts, there's a reason why there are different tiers of replacement parts available, cheap crappy parts that fail more often, to NOS parts that are identical to the OE component, and last about the same, to some high end aftermarket parts which exceed OE standards.

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 01-26-2014).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spark plugs & timing belts usually have specified replacement intervals in the service manuals whereas chains don't.

Timing chains are more likely to be regarded as lifetime parts like crankshafts, connecting rods, pistons, rings, camshafts, valves & valve train parts etc. Performance may diminish over time due to the wear of all of these but the typical driver won't notice the difference in their daily driving.

While any of those components could, and have failed, few people would replace them prior to failure based on normal wear.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock