Rodneys true cold air tube and air cleaner ultimate base piece by Csjag
Started on: 01-24-2014 07:17 PM
Replies: 12 (990 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 01-28-2014 11:09 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone installed the two items in my subject line on a stock 2.8? If you have I was wondering if you could tell any benefit.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think you are going to notice much of a gain, if any at all. But you will definitely be able to hear the intake more, especially with the window down.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock Fiero intake plumbing is already a "true" cold air intake system. Not sure what gains you're hoping to see.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's no gain, its just for the sound.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

...its just for the sound.

There's no point. It's never going to sound like the four-barrels opening up on a big-block Chevy.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won't argue it does nothing to increase HP. I believe it was Herb Adams that tested a V-6 Fiero and stated that with the air cleaner/air intake removed it provided no increase in HP. But: He did not say how he disconnected the air cleaner. Did he just remove the air filter element? Did he remove the hose from the throttle body and take in hot engine compartment air? Or did he run a hose to the intake opening like my kit? We will probably never know.

I made the kit because I did this to my 88 Mera and the sound is way cool.

So on my web page I state it may not increase HP but will provide a louder intake noise.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed Rodney's air intake on my v6 conversion, so I never got to hear the original :P
bmac

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hp gains may be negligible, but the intake sound on the 2.8 really is sweet! And as previously stated there could be slight gains...It certainly won't hurt.

Brian
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"True Cold Air Intake System" just removed the muffler/water separator for intake.
Fiero intake vent can get "water" splash by other drivers on highway etc. "Water" because water also has oil, dirt, and so on.
L4 and even easier on V6 air filter and plumbing can get wet w/ this crap and can plug up faster.

"air cleaner ultimate base" might help when you fix a rusty air box but Site no longer list that part that I can see.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big v8's ran this stuff in the sixty's and some of the intakes were under the front bumper. Don't know how much of it was after market but the ram-Air GTO's sucked directly from the hood scoops and to the air cleaners.

I pulled up these pics. I believe these are Oldsmobile . Food for thought.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spoon

3762 posts
Member since May 2004
Almost forgot the question.

Yes, I installed Rodneys true cold air tube and air cleaner ultimate base piece.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sppon did you notice any performance increase or just sound?
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Sppon did you notice any performance increase or just sound?

At the risk of being heckled I'm gona go out on a limb and say "yes" I could tell a difference at lower end acceleration or normal driving. At WOT "wide open throttle" all bets are off due to the restriction in the upper intake.

I'm also running 1.6 rockers on the 2.8, K&N air filter, Holley ram intake, Bored out throttle body, and the exhaust manifolds have been ported. Perhaps this combination works better with Rodney's system than an unmolested 2.8 would.

I also like the sound of Rodney's system.

Spoon

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock