opinions on steering rack ratio by AL87
Started on: 01-22-2014 09:10 PM
Replies: 20 (809 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-30-2014 02:29 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so i've noticed that gt fieros have a different ratio steering rack than the rest.

the gt ratio feels less sensitive, and more stable at high speeds.

the coupe rack feels twitchy in town but have never been on the highway with it, would assume it would be extremely light.

does anyone else have a preference for application? I would say I'd want a coupe rack for parking lot, in town, technical driving, and a gt rack for racing, and highway cruising.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not believe the racks are different.
Some of the spring rates and sway bars may be but the racks are the same.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 - 87 has two ratios, GT rack is faster (fewer turns lock to lock).
88's all have the same ratio.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have read that the 'slower' ratio is 3.5 turns and the 'faster' ratio is 3.0 turns lock to lock...trying to remember where I read that....
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
but what feels more comfortable to drive with?
the coupe has the closer ratio (more turns, but easier to turn, feels more sensitive)
and the GT's have the wider one (less turns, but harder to turn, feels less sensitive)
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The standard ratio rack feels sluggish compared to the GT rack.
I installed the GT rack on my 86SE to improve the steering response.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The standard ratio rack feels sluggish compared to the GT rack.
I installed the GT rack on my 86SE to improve the steering response.

sluggish, yes, easier to turn in a parking lot? also yes. XD

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So there is your choice. Less effort at low speed or less effort at high speed. If you have oversize tires, the 3.5 turns rack may be preferred.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lift weights......

There is not much difference in steering effort....
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
facepalm* im just trying to see if anyone has a preference here, lol.
i dont mind either
Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FACE PALM,@ My 1985 hatchback coupe is a GT
1986 to 1988 fast back GT's are coupes

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinkrr:

FACE PALM,@ My 1985 notchback coupe is a GT
1986 to 1988 fast back GT's are not coupes

Fixed that for ya....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-24-2014).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 GT rack seems well matched to the car ,if the rack has the old stiff grease removed & is fresh re lubed
AL87 you probably have a loose tie rod & need to replace & align
with a light grease a Fiero is easy to steer,,if you over inflate the tires most women can easily drive the Fiero ,we are a spoiled people, demanding unneeded power steering, in small cars ..you can go down one tire size ,run 36 pounds in the Tires & it is as close to power steering as you can get !! You can clean the rack, then pack the rack with heavy grease & this will help you with the problem loose rack,if it is the rack
the inner rods have to be tight,in good shape ,My 86 GT has different inner tie rods on each end,very strange!! but it works ,
I made it work..!#&@*
If the old grease remains in your 20 year old Fiero,s rack,you are eventually going to have a problem

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 01-24-2014).]

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 is a GT with an installed coupe rack.
My front (and rear) suspension is Held (HT) with 2" lowering spindles, and running 16" rims with 225-55 skins.
The coupe rack feels so much better (to me) with the setup over the GT rack.
When the front was more stock, the racks (both new at the time) made no difference to me.

-Dave
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Fixed that for ya....

lol, they all all technically coupes (two-door car) but I don't know if he knew that when referring to a fiero that is a "coupe" its in reference to the 4cyl cars.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AL87

2578 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

My 86 GT rack seems well matched to the car ,if the rack has the old stiff grease removed & is fresh re lubed
AL87 you probably have a loose tie rod & need to replace & align
with a light grease a Fiero is easy to steer,,if you over inflate the tires most women can easily drive the Fiero ,we are a spoiled people, demanding unneeded power steering, in small cars ..you can go down one tire size ,run 36 pounds in the Tires & it is as close to power steering as you can get !! You can clean the rack, then pack the rack with heavy grease & this will help you with the problem loose rack,if it is the rack
the inner rods have to be tight,in good shape ,My 86 GT has different inner tie rods on each end,very strange!! but it works ,
I made it work..!#&@*
If the old grease remains in your 20 year old Fiero,s rack,you are eventually going to have a problem

everything is alright with my car, I was seeing what the census of opinions were on preference.
the feel of the coupe is lighter because the ratio is close, so you don't need as much force to turn it as the gt rack.

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 01-25-2014).]

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

everything is alright with my car, I was seeing what the census of opinions were on preference.
the feel of the coupe is lighter because the ratio is close, so you don't need as much force to turn it as the gt rack.

Maybe 2 times is a charm here
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VikingRedBaron

879 posts
Member since Nov 2009
I myself like the ratio my 87 GT has
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

I myself like the ratio my 87 GT has

Lol, Thanks for the encouragement Steve!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I have read that the 'slower' ratio is 3.5 turns and the 'faster' ratio is 3.0 turns lock to lock...trying to remember where I read that....

correct. There were two ratios available, but I don't know which was standard on what model. My first 85GT had problems with the rack and a garage convinced me they weren't rebuildable because parts weren't available. This was in the mid 90's, long before the information superstore known as PFF. They installed the 3:1 ratio and the steering was a lot heavier, both at low speeds, and at road speeds.

As for fastback and notchback classifications, all my cars are listed as CP for Coupe because they're 2 passenger vehicles.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I just checked the parts book and in 84 there were two racks. One for the WS6 and one for non-WS6. 85 and 86 had the same rack available as the 84 with WS6. 86 also had a second rack available. This might have been what came out on the late year fastback. It looks like the RPO Code is P37. P37 seemed to be a mystery code during the 80's. It was present on some Monte Carlos, Firebirds, Camros and other cars, but according to other GM forums, they could never define it's meaning. As evidenced by the following list, the P series codes are all assigned to wheels, hubcaps, tires, lug nuts and wheel related items. P37 is absent.

http://www.marshu.com/image...GM-RPO-car-codes.pdf
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock