Smoke Coming Through Vents by tuckerfleischmann
Started on: 01-22-2014 07:27 PM
Replies: 15 (584 views)
Last post by: Larry Nakamura on 01-24-2014 10:03 PM
tuckerfleischmann

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuckerfleischmannSend a Private Message to tuckerfleischmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done a few searches but I can't seem to find an answer that is helpful to my situation.

1987 2.8L V6 Fiero GT Coupe

I was late for an interview today and I pushed the car pretty hard in terms of acceleration while heading into the city. On my way back, smoke began to come through all of the vents in the interior (even though it was "off"). It isn't very thick and it doesn't have a real strong smell. I just opened the windows to let it vent as I drove back home. Help?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you have the fan on at any time during your drive? If so it could have been the resistor caused some leaves to smoke inside the blower motor housing.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be steam from your heater core. If the heater core is leaking, it could seem like smoke coming out
tuckerfleischmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuckerfleischmannSend a Private Message to tuckerfleischmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Additional info: The car is running fine and at normal temperature. Yes, the defrost was on low the whole time and then I believe I turned the fan on, but just for a few minutes. Leaves, you say?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, I was driving to Omaha from Lincoln last week for a windows 2012r2 server class. Been super windy here with 50mph gust.
I was just hitting the ramp onto the interstate when a big gust hit. Must have been a little piece of a leaf in the duct because I got the smelled burning for a minute. Knew there could not be much since I just had the fan out last fall to oil and checked all was clean.

Still makes you wonder...
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123929.html

X2 on this, PLEASE check it!!!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had flames shooting out of mine and had to discharge my fire extinguisher, so yes PLEASE check this out ASAP.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only 2 things I know of make smoke come out of the defrosters. Debris in the ducts/intake, or leaking heater core. If you have a slick film on the inside of the windshield, that would confirm a definate heater core leak.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Only 2 things I know of make smoke come out of the defrosters. Debris in the ducts/intake, or leaking heater core. If you have a slick film on the inside of the windshield, that would confirm a definate heater core leak.

Or one other. In the summer you can get steam out the vents with the AC on if the temp and humidity is right.

tuckerfleischmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuckerfleischmannSend a Private Message to tuckerfleischmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

"Slick film" as in moisture, or a wetness?
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think he means as in antifreeze residue as a film forming on the glass.
Other than the normal film.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It it was anti-freeze fog you would know it. Most of that stuff is highly toxic and your eyes would be watering and you would be gasping for air. I've experienced that failure mode as well.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on the resistor. Sometimes mice get in there and make a nest, than get a nasty lil surprise when you go to use your defroster.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes wet film on the inside of the glass. May not be enough to make your eyes water, but its slick and wont dry off. Be like you rubbed baby oil on it. Depending on the color of the antifreeze, you may not be able to see it as well as you can feel it.
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the question is how is the debris getting into the AC/heater box? So instead of
just cleaning it out, also make sure the debris cannot get in there in the future. I found
this on my 88 when redoing the AC system. I figured it must be from the fresh air intakes
and added some screens to keep debris from getting in there in the future.

What does everyone else think?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock