Some Questions (Speed and Temp Sensors) by WhateverUSMC
Started on: 01-22-2014 10:21 AM
Replies: 8 (182 views)
Last post by: carbon on 01-22-2014 10:00 PM
WhateverUSMC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhateverUSMCSend a Private Message to WhateverUSMCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone. I have had several Fieros in my life, and have recently bought another one; a 1986 2m4, auto trans., base model, 129,000 mi on original engine.

The speedometer is stuck between 50-60 mph. The code being thrown is 24. Thing is; I can't seem to find anything on-line that says where the sensor is located for the 2m4. I was also curious if it has been, in the readers experience, more likely to be the sensor, or the contacts and/or wires at the ECM.

Also; the temp gauge does not move while the car is driving. It does move all the way to the right when started, but does not move beyond that. Smacking the dash makes it move a bit, but that's all. Is that sensor bad, as well, or is it the gauge itself?

EDIT; my bad spelling.

[This message has been edited by WhateverUSMC (edited 01-22-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

The VSS is on the transmission......look for wires.
WhateverUSMC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhateverUSMCSend a Private Message to WhateverUSMCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!

So, it is on the underside? Which side of the car should I be looking at? Will a lifting be required?

[This message has been edited by WhateverUSMC (edited 01-22-2014).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The VSS is on the passenger side top of the transmission... right above where the passenger side axle plugs into the trans. It is driven by the differential.
WhateverUSMC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhateverUSMCSend a Private Message to WhateverUSMCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good info, tyty. Just replaced battery. Speedo still stuck, but engine light is off. Guessing I gotta get her moving before light comes back on. Any thoughts on the temp sensor question above?
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
  • Check the connector and wiring.
  • Measure the resistance and verify that the value corresponds to the ambient temperature of where the car is sitting on the chart.

If the resistance value is way off, around zero, way off the chart high, replace the sender.
WhateverUSMC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhateverUSMCSend a Private Message to WhateverUSMCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great, tyty once again!
WhateverUSMC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhateverUSMCSend a Private Message to WhateverUSMCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WhateverUSMC

28 posts
Member since Jan 2014
So, regarding the speedo sensor; is it something I can remove from the top, or should I jack the end of the car up?
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Open the deck lid and lean over the trunk. Look straight down, below the dog bone, and you should see the VSS... whether you can do it from the top kinda depends on how long your arms are. If you go from the bottom then you'll have your view blocked by the trans... it's a good time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock