cooling fan an tube's for alt/coil ? by georgie
Started on: 01-21-2014 12:11 AM
Replies: 21 (455 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 01-27-2014 11:38 AM
georgie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieClick Here to Email georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the 85 gt 2.8 have a fan in the trunk for the cooling tube's, an if so does the fan go on when the key is turned on or when the motor is. I have never heard it run.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakClick Here to Email weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 GT had one. I took it out when engine swapping. It's found in the passenger side trunk wall. Never heard mine run, either.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you ever heard your rad fan come on? Well, the trunk blower comes on at the same time.
georgie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieClick Here to Email georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That tell's me why iv never heard it. My rad switch was bad when i got my car with some other things. Fixed most but still need to change coolent sending an rad fan switch. Thank's for the info...
georgie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieClick Here to Email georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, one other thing. Will the cooling tube fan come on when the AC is turned on an the rad fan kick's on?
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by georgie:

Oh, one other thing. Will the cooling tube fan come on when the AC is turned on an the rad fan kick's on?

Pretty sure it does. I did a little cut-and-splice so the trunk blower works whenever the key is on. I'd rather it die of use than of old age.

Jonathan

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, with A/C equipped Fieros, the trunk blower and rad fan will both come on when the A/C and/or defogger are being used.
georgie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieClick Here to Email georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great! Thank's for the info an help. I may do that same hook up on mine to.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or you can just take the fan out and throw it away. Its debatable, but I think theyre useless. I threw them away on all my cars. If I remember 88s didnt have one to start with. I never saw any ill effects.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Or you can just take the fan out and throw it away. Its debatable, but I think theyre useless. I threw them away on all my cars. If I remember 88s didnt have one to start with. I never saw any ill effects.

There's plenty of time to throw it away after it burns out. I think the 88's also had a better alternator which may be able to handle heat better.

Jonathan

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I think the 88's also had a better alternator which may be able to handle heat better.

Yes, the 88's have an alternator that better cools itself, and there's also superior heat shielding in place near the ignition coil. Roger tends to overlook these facts.
PFF
System Bot
georgie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieClick Here to Email georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I do have one an it does work, so I will use it till it stop's working it can't hurt an only help keep thing's cooler witch is always a good thing in the summer. Thank's again to all for the feed back!! Next on the list , new brake pad's an flush job.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well I do have one an it does work, so I will use it till it stop's working

They are good little blower motors. I've had mine running full time for a year and it's still going. If your cooling system is working correctly, the fan doesn't come on that much. The alternator and coil see a bunch of heat between fan cycles. Something to think about.

Jonathan

georgie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieClick Here to Email georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boostdreamer, how did you wire it up to come on when the motor is on? Can you tell me a easy an good way to do it.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 has the cooling fan, my 88 does not. I'm still running the original 87 alternator while the 88 has gone through three alternators. The fan must do something.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

....the 88 has gone through three alternators.

That seems excessive. Do you have the heat shielding in place between the alternator and the rear exhaust manifold?

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer, how did you wire it up to come on when the motor is on? Can you tell me a easy an good way to do it.

Here is a write-up I did. Hope it helps!

TRUNK BLOWER:

Have you ever noticed the two bent tubes that are attached to the trunk wall
that faces the engine? Do you know what they are? They are there to direct
air to the coil and the alternator.

Do you know were the forced air comes from? Inside your trunk! On the
passenger-side of the trunk there is a blower mounted between the carpet and
the fender. Pull the carpet away from the rubber trunk weatherstrip to
locate it.

This blower works in conjunction with the radiator fan. They come on at the
same time. Even though these cars are 20 years old, these blowers have seen
very little run time. Our little engines are designed to run at relatively
high temperatures but the electrical componets are not. Heat is deadly to
them. I have re-wired this blower to work at all times when the key is in
the run position. It is easy. Here's how you do it:

There is a relay beside the blower that is held on by two 7mm bolts, remove
them to give yourself better access to the wiring. You will see five wires
going into the relay. Three brown, a green/white, and one black/red wire.
Peel the tape back and you will see two of the brown wires are actually the
same wire used as a jumper.

Cut the brown wire that is not a jumper about 4-5 inches from the relay. Cut
the black/red wire an equal distance from the relay. Strip some insulation
from the four ends of wire. Use a wire nut to connect all four wire ends.

Re-tape the bundle of wire and replace the two 7mm bolts. Now whenever the
key is in the RUN position, that blower will be working.

Jonathan

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Click Here to Email 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone noted in another thread that you can't hear it run, or even feel any air coming out, when it's running.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

Someone noted in another thread that you can't hear it run, or even feel any air coming out, when it's running.

There's something wrong with their blower then.
georgie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieClick Here to Email georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank's for the how to boostdreamer for hooking up the fan. Ill do it today or tomorrow, Also clean the fan. The fan work's but I will make sure there is no crap in it. It look's new out of the box!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yes, the 88's have an alternator that better cools itself, and there's also superior heat shielding in place near the ignition coil. Roger tends to overlook these facts.

I put lots of miles on all my cars. No fans worked fine in all mine for over 100K miles. Only alternator or coils I ever put in any of them was when I did the original rebuilds. I just do what works and always remove useless clutter I also throw out all the nasty fiber insulation on the firewall that dont do anything but trap dirt and water.. Those fans dont put out any air anyway. They wouldnt blow up a balloon. They might make a piece of paper flutter. Theres people in here that use aluminum tire valve stems to save weight, but they want to keep a 2 pnd dead weight fan.

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerClick Here to Email BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put my hand in front of my coil blower today. It blows very nicely. Since the blown air is split in two, the blower must be a decent little unit. I would have checked the alternator tube output but my manifold was hot.

Jonathan

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock