Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Making a larger tank out of 2 tanks from 12 to 15 gallons any advice?? Please comment

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Making a larger tank out of 2 tanks from 12 to 15 gallons any advice?? Please comment by loudecuz
Started on: 01-20-2014 09:49 AM
Replies: 18 (481 views)
Last post by: loudecuz on 01-23-2014 05:28 PM
loudecuz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loudecuzClick Here to visit loudecuz's HomePageSend a Private Message to loudecuzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a WTB up but I guess I put the wrong size up I wrote 13 well to goal is to make a larger tank so we can make it a full 2 hours in the 24 hours of lemons instead of stopping every 1:15 to 1:30 the plan is to take a 12 gallon tank get a collector put in side it. Cut the 2 tanks in half not actually but leave a 1/2 inch on either side over the middle mark. Cut off the side things that stick out weld the seams on the inside than the 2 tanks are going to be spliced together to make it 1 inch wider, the whole way down. Anyone know the calculation on volume increase on that?[/b] The vent tube will be moved to the top fill moved to the top and pretty much thats it I have not been under our car for a long time any one see a fitment issue with that??
In case anyone wonders I have tried the aluminum tank it sticks down too far and would drag on the ground so thats not good I was also afreid of the sharp edges on the tunnel with all the stress and bumps the car gets. We run an avarage of 1800 to 2200 miles in 24 hours so things dont like to hold up in those conditions! Thanks!!

------------------
Lou

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use two existing tanks, take a measurement of the room you have in the tunnel on the sides, and the leeway you have on the bottom. Cut the tank on one side of the top vents, with about an inch or so to spare. Then cut the other tank right beside the vents and use that piece to weld to the the first tank. This should give you at least one inch wider or thereabouts.

If you are fabricating an aluminum tank, which is likely the nicer option, you simply measure the space it will be filling, allowing for rubber spacers. The rest is pure fabrication.

There may be a guy on the forum though, who has done all this.

The only way to measure the volume is to build it first. Getting a volume on a curved panel is very tough mathematics. You are better to fill it and empty into a known volume container to measure the interior space. Hope this helps.

Arn
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There isnt much space where the tank fits.What engine are you running? Have you thought about swapping out engines for an economical motor? I was at the wrecking yard some time back and saw a Camaro motor with 2 fuel injectors in the intake, instead of the usual 6 injectors, it only had two. It would be interesting to know what kind of gas mileage that motor got.How about an extra tank (from a diffrent car),in the trunk compartment?

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 01-20-2014).]

loudecuz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loudecuzClick Here to visit loudecuz's HomePageSend a Private Message to loudecuzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great advise thanks! both of you it has to look stock otherwise we have to run a saftey cell and these no palce to put it
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A secondary tank at the rear of the car would be a safety concern... but how about in the front? Front impact tests on the Fiero were very good. Crash tests included the spare tire as part of the crush system, but I have yet to see a smashed Fiero that impacted the tire. If you don't have to carry one you could build a tank of roughly the same size and shape.
loudecuz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loudecuzClick Here to visit loudecuz's HomePageSend a Private Message to loudecuzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We tought about hiding a tank under the passenger seat but the racing rules dont allow aux tanks and it makes it a bit more dangerous LOL
loudecuz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loudecuzClick Here to visit loudecuz's HomePageSend a Private Message to loudecuzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

loudecuz

116 posts
Member since Sep 2010
Based on my calculations we will get 1.65 gallons extra which should give us 18 minutes ore if the fuel pick up relocation gets all the fuel tot he engine it is a 3.4 DOHC
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the idea a while back to run a small fuel cell up front and connect it to the forward tip if the oe tank, and maybe run a valve or a small electric pump to transfer the fuel.
i don't know what your sanctioning body rules are on that.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you also extend the tank forward and aft? If you do this, take pics. With all of us looking at the inside of the tank, we could come up with some great ideas.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loudecuz:

We thought about hiding a tank under the passenger seat...

<Patrick makes a mental note to never ever get a ride with Loudecuz.>
loudecuz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loudecuzClick Here to visit loudecuz's HomePageSend a Private Message to loudecuzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://youtu.be/1kjqd05jnAE

Geez, the car was going so good. Great fun until the end!
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
231 cubic inches equals a gallon. LxWxH gives sq> In. I know the tank is wedge shaped in every direction but the math is pretty easy to do. You average the tapered sides to create an equal sided rectangle. As Arne stated the final proof is in the fill. Hard to calculate the unfillable air space at the top. I an sure you won't be able to widen the top of the tank (no room), the bottom - yes. If you fab a 24x5x4 rectangle to add to the back of the tank running width wise like the engine (transverse) it will add 2.07 gallons. There is plenty of room for this. It can be wider that 24 inches and deeper than 4 inches for even more gas. Not nearly as much welding as the "cut the tank in half" thing. Because it's at the bottom back of the tank you know exactly how much gas it will hold. My stainless tank is coming along fine. Machined the sending unit/pump holder today. Now onto the baffle design. Best of luck on your project.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Based on my calculations we will get 1.65 gallons extra which should give us 18 minutes ore if the fuel pick up relocation gets all the fuel tot he engine it is a 3.4 DOHC

That sounds about right. The drawing I have for a longer taller tank is 1.99 gallons for 1" wider.

I don't know if you are starting with the smaller or larger tank, but the larger one is already tight to the sides up top and the side flange is already bent down. There might be room at the base to widen it some (by removing the heater and A/C lines).

I have the chassis sheet metal from the center tank cut out and under the house. One of these days I need to throw a tarp over the opening and see how many gallons it will hold. That will tell us the upper limit of any gas tank in that area.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the foam mock-up tank made. It is longer, wider and taller. It fits very nicely. I have some of the stainless sections made and they fit snuggly but they aren't jammed in. It's kind of slow work because a lot of the sheet metal equipment I have isn't heavy duty enough. I have to improvise which takes a lot more time. I fit the new sending unit/pump holder in today and got the pick up extended to the tank depth. I had to revamp the float arm to get it to swing a longer arc. It looks promising.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some pics?
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been taking pics right along. I have had some trouble with posting pics here in the past. I'm going to put a bunch of pictures in the forum when I get to the point that I can say for sure everything fits fine and is installable. I am making the tank in 3 sections and each section independently fits fine. They might take some messaging when they are tacked together. I have baffle work to do. I am putting a baffle on either side of the pick up with doors to keep the gas where it needs to be. I'm working on the fill tube/vent line and baffles today. Doesn't look like I will finish them today - it's my wife's birthday. She already made me take her out for lunch - said something about me making supper - and made me walk a mile with her at the health club. No wonder this is taking so long.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't it just be easier to put another tank either in the trunk or up front with an electric fuel pump for "Transfer" ?
loudecuz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loudecuzClick Here to visit loudecuz's HomePageSend a Private Message to loudecuzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes how ever the rules wont allow it and we couldnt re fill it during the race

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock