Duke high idle after cleaning throttle body by Csjag
Started on: 01-19-2014 03:45 PM
Replies: 3 (166 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 01-19-2014 06:07 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took off the throttle body on my 85 duke and cleaned the passages out and the gunk buildup. Got it back on and the car runs great but now the idle is high, my tach isn't accurate so I don't know exactly how high but its about twice as high as it idled before. Car will go 15 mph in second with my foot off the gas. I don't see any vacuum hoses disconnected or leaking. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bad seal on the intake manifold? Vacuum lines switched? EGR valve loose? The engine is getting more air somehow.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I didn't wait long enough for the computer to adjust, just restarted it and it idles down now like before. It does have an exhaust sputter every few seconds, what causes that an exhaust leak?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The computer got used to opening the idle air valve a little more, to compensate for the reduced airflow. When you cleaned out the crud, you restored the airflow. So the ECM had to re-adjust.

That said, it's a good idea to reset the ECM when you do something like that to wipe the slate clean, so to speak. You may want to do that anyway, even though it seems to have re-adjusted.

As for the sporadic sputter, it's hard to tell without more info.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock