85' Fiero 2.5 upgrades by RonnieFierro
Started on: 01-17-2014 10:13 PM
Replies: 3 (692 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 01-18-2014 03:00 PM
RonnieFierro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieFierroSend a Private Message to RonnieFierroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I'm in the process of buying an 85' 2.5 Fiero, just looking for small little upgrades to get a few more ponies, not looking for a neck breaker but just a little more power would be nice. I know it has tbi and I've never been too big of a fan of it, would a carburetor do be any better? Thanks in advance.

------------------
Ronnie

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
change to a carb is a lot of work for little gain
the 87 88 fiero duke are peppy !!
the parts to improve performace are difficult to find cheap
best to just improve the ignition & get it running as good as possible
the fiero store has a few performance parts
about twice a year a header or performance manifold comes available
I would so a top quality tune up ,add a MDS coil
later add a thrush turbo muffler ,the Dyno max turbo is better but more expensive
& you need other modifications to take advantage of the Dyno max,& the thrush is an easier install
use hard ware store T bracket,,L brackets & barrel ajusters
retain the stock air cleaner system, the cone filters hurt performance
there can be a small boost with rapid fire plugs ,but you are better off just going with stock A.C. delco
people have gotten 140 horsepower out of the duke ,but you have to rebuild the engine & spend a lot of money
the best course of action seems to be to just do a major tune,enjoy drive maintain then in the future sell your Fiero 4 & buy a V6 fiero
fiero,s are cheap !! this is better than doing an engine swap,unless you get the parts practically free
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

uhlanstan

6446 posts
Member since Apr 2007
A TBI is far superior to any carb,its just improved tech
both are an improvement of a fuel dripping rag
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulation! I also have a 85 2M4 that I bought 10 months ago and recently started driving every day. I have mine running well with good throttle response and performance. What I have done so far is replace the coil with an Accel coil and accel high performance wires and blocked off the egr and removed it. Also took off the stock cat, a high flow unit is much freer flowing. When I took off the egr I was able to advance the timing a little to about 10 degrees. All of this has vastly improved throttle response and now I have a car with good performance and great gas mileage and its a blast to drive. It also sounds great. My next thing to do is take the throttle body off and remove the intake baffle and clean the throttle body with carb cleaner.

Enjoy your new ride.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock